Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genome Alignment considering ORFs (AA)

Hello everybody,

I am searching for an alignment tool which generates multiple alignments. But a specific feature should be that it considers ORFs. It should align ORFs on the basis of the amino acids and intergenic reagions on nucleotide level. Has anyone heard about something like that?

Thank you very much!

Not exactly sure what you mean but you might find promer (part of MUMMER) useful which will do pair-wise genome alignment with the conceptual 6-frame translation of the nucleotide sequences.

Comment

BTW you might want to consider whether you really mean open reading frames (ORF) or coding sequence (CDS).

Comment

(http://roughguidetoevolution.blogspo...-sequence.html)

Comment

Hi Nickloman,

you are right I mean CDs. The problem with Mummer is the pairwise comparison but I need a multiple alignment. Thanks anyway!

Comment

You could use Mauve and then write a script to parse the multiple alignment to extract the relevant regions for further amino acid alignment...

Comment

Context based alignment

Nick;
              This is a capability that many people have built/scripted, I think, on their own - but I haven't seen a good multiple sequence alignment pipeline that preserves, for example, the codons of CDs, the known regulatory elements, and small RNAs by secondary structure, returning the primary sequence aligned at the bp level.

Do you know of one I haven't seen?

Comment

Nope, as you say many people have scripted something approximating this requirement (including me) but I am not aware of a package for this.

Comment

Nick;
                  Maybe it is time we distributed something for it. It would ideally be able to handle progressive alignments of regions 3-100 kb, taking a bush (guide tree), raw sequences, and one or more annotated sequences as the main arguments, outputting the alignment; perhaps also pipelines for gene trees and transferred annotations.

My original vision, a long time ago, was that it would take raw sanger reads, as well as meta-information about the reads, so that it could improve base calls, assemble the reads, align them and build trees in an iterative fashion - useful if one were doing amplicons from isolates, for, say functional genes or MLST targets. Now, with the proliferation of sequencing technologies, it is not as relevant to focus on Sanger.

Comment

Hi,

thank you for your answers! So if you plan to publish something like that let me know

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                    0 responses