No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using Cuffdiff without gene and transcript discory

Hi all,

I want to use Cuffdiff and I am just interested in differentially expressed genes but not any gene discovery. So I have used the Bam files from tophat output and then using them as the input of cuffdiff. Below is the code I have used but nothing is run and it says there is a command mistake. Is it due to the point that I have not run cufflinks before it can it be due to the point that I have used flag -G before my gtf file just for not interested in discovery of new genes?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    #!/bin/bash
    #$ -cwd
    #$ -pe smp 12
    module use /app/modulefiles
    module add samtools
    module add bowtie/2.0.0-beta7
    module add tophat/2.0.4
    module add cufflinks/2.0.2-beta
    cuffdiff -o output -p 12 -G /Genes/genes.gtf -L Male,Female /group1/accepted_hits.bam /group2/accepted_hits.bam
    Last edited by narges; 09-03-2012, 05:54 AM.

Afaik from http://cufflinks.cbcb.umd.edu/manual.html cuffdiff does not have a -G option but just wants the gtf as first argument before the bam files, eg:

cuffdiff -o output -p 12 -L Male,Female /Genes/genes.gtf /group1/accepted_hits.bam /group2/accepted_hits.bam

Comment

I recommended you to read the paper<Transcript assembly and quantification by RNA-Seq reveals unannotated transcripts and isoform switching during cell differentiation> .I want it can help you

Comment

by the way. you can try it after you run cufflinks.Because the file produce by cufflinks is necessary when you run cuffdiff.

Comment

Thank you EGrassi. You are right, now it works

Comment

Originally posted by xiongdianguang View Post
            by the way. you can try it after you run cufflinks.Because the file produce by cufflinks is necessary when you run cuffdiff.
            Thank you so much for the paper. But are you sure that I need the cufflinks results for the cuffdiff? Since in the manual it is written that I can run cuffdiff directly with Bam tophat results.

Comment

Originally posted by narges View Post
              Thank you so much for the paper. But are you sure that I need the cufflinks results for the cuffdiff? Since in the manual it is written that I can run cuffdiff directly with Bam tophat results.
              (For nothing!)
              If you do not want to work with new possible isoforms suggested by you RNAseq data (produced by cufflinks) you can just use a known GTF as the annotation used to align your reads with tophat and then for cuffdiff directly.

Comment

You do not need to run cufflinks before cuffdiff! Especially not if you're not interested in new genes/isoforms. Then just use your annotation gtf and the bam files. They even mention it in the manual.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                  04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses