Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh so I guess you must have R3.1 and later to get the newest DESeq2? Since I've installed the package very recently but I did have R 3.0.1..

Comment

So when I upgraded DESeq2 1.2.10 @ R 3.0.1 to v 1.4.5 (R 3.1.1) the number of genes considered "differentially expressed" went from ~ 2500 to ~ 1300.

every other setting is very much the same. How is this even possible?

Comment

hi apredeus, I'm note exactly sure why it would have changed so much between 1.2 and 1.4, as there were only slight changes to the gene-wise dispersion estimation routine, but I can say that the code base has stabilized since last fall. Bioc users are always 6 months behind the development cycle, which means that bugs/changes that users request in October have to wait until March to be released.

The other thing is that p-values are tail probabilities, which means they are very sensitive to slight changes in model parameters.

For example, say we have some Z scores:

> set.seed(1)
        > z <- rnorm(10000,0,7)

Then we make and adjust p-value according to two models of the data:

> table(p.adjust(2*pnorm(abs(z),0,5,lower=FALSE),method="BH") < .1)

FALSE TRUE
        9507 493

> table(p.adjust(2*pnorm(abs(z),0,5.25,lower=FALSE),method="BH") < .1)

FALSE TRUE
        9741 259

So a 5% change in a model parameter translates to a nearly halving of adjusted p-values less than 0.1.

Comment

Michael, Simon:

would it be possible to output two mean expression columns (conditions 1 and 2) instead of only one in the results table? It would be a lot more informative I think. You can simply glance at it and tell if there are some dramatic changes.

Comment

Originally posted by apredeus View Post
            Michael, Simon:

would it be possible to output two mean expression columns (conditions 1 and 2) instead of only one in the results table? It would be a lot more informative I think. You can simply glance at it and tell if there are some dramatic changes.
            This post by Michael described how to extract the baseMean per level (condition) from the DESeqDataSet object.

Comment

I can make it even more concise:

Code:
              baseMeanPerLvl <- sapply(levels(dds$condition), function(lvl) rowMeans(counts(dds,normalized=TRUE)[,dds$condition == lvl]))
              I didn't know until this year that dds$variable is the same as colData(dds)$variable for SummarizedExperiments.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
              • seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses