No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing and merging genome assemblies

Hi,

We have recently completed the de-novo assembly of a eukaryotic genome. The genome size is ~3.1GB.
    We used two different assembly platforms/pipelines and got ~2.0GB and ~2.8GB scaffolds respectively.

I look for your suggestions in the following areas:

1) What would be the most suitable way to compare the similarity and/or differences between two assemblies?

2) Any suitable assembly merger? The objective of question (1) is to merge them to make it larger.
    [ I could not install GAM (Genome Assembly Merger) on my MAC OSX 10.6 ]

3) Any suitable and open-source pipeline for annotation?

Regards.

1) Blast is nice, visualised with Circos. Perhaps try circoletto ?

2) Apparently SSPACE is quite good, haven't tried it yet myself.

Comment

Actually there are some genome aligners. They differ in speed, amount of genomes which can be aligned and spped. For a first sigh you can use:

Whole genome aligner:
      MUMer
      LAGAN
      AVID (not open source)

or Multi Genome aligner:
      MGA (not open source)
      MLAGAN
      DIALIGN(not open source)

there a a plenty more tools...

Even if there are not all open source, they are all free to use (when I'm right..).

hope that helps

Comment

2) Do not use SSPACE to merge assemblies, SSPACE is for scaffolding or for contig extension. Have a look at this thread for possible assembly mergers;
        Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

3) I think Augustus is a good annotation tool for eurkaryotic genomes: http://augustus.gobics.de/ Haven't used it myself though.

Comment

You can use QUAST (QUality ASsesment Tool for Genome Assembly) to compare multiple genome assemblies:

Download QUAST for free. Quality Assessment Tool for Genome Assemblies. QUAST performs fast and convenient quality evaluation and comparison of genome assemblies. QUAST computes a number of well-known metrics, including contig accuracy, number of genes discovered, N50, and others, as well as introducing new ones, like NA50 (see details in the paper and in the manual).

http://http://quast.bioinf.spbau.ru (QUAST server, beta)

Comment

Hi all,
            me working with transcriptome data. i have two transcriptomes of superior and inferior traits of a plant. what i did is that i assembled my transcriptomes to a reference genome. now i want to compare the reference assembly to find the difference, ie to find the difference between the inferior and superior one and if possible to find the genes responsible for the quality. i would also like to know about the expression. my lab has CLC bio, and would appreciate any suggestions to my query which make use of CLC bio

Thank You

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses