No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10x genomics and 'paired end' reads

Hi all,

We recently started looking at single cell RNA-seq data produced by our sequencing facility. There were some questions about alignment quality, so I was looking at the fastq read data. The data was generated by 10x genomics library prep (not sure of the specific microfluidic hardware) followed by sequencing on an Illumina machine.

The project PI requested a 'paired end' experiment, and imagined we would have data similar to that provided by a MiSeq experiment, with forward and reverse reads of same length.

Instead, the R2 file has full length reads, and the R1 goes only far enough to capture the cell barcode and UMI (26 bases).

The protocol followed only used 26 cycles for R1. When I questioned why the R1 reads are 'truncated' to minimal length, the manager of the facility basically answers 'that's the 10x protocol'.

We are new to single cell and the 10X platform - is there any reason why more sequence information is not collected on the 'R1' side?

Thanks!
    Randy

This may answer my own question - the facility manager sent a followup: the 10X library prep involves a 30nt poly-T section after the barcode/UMI, and he indicates that the 10X analysis software will ignore anything past the barcode and UMI.

So I guess the implicit reasoning is that it's not worth so many cycles to get to fragment sequence. Does that correctly sum it up?

Randy

Comment

Did your facility use software from 10x genomics (cellranger mkfastq) to do the demultiplexing of the data? You should ideally use the entire pipeline to process the data from sequences to counts at end. You can find information about the pipeline 10x supplies here.

Comment

Yes, they did do the whole analysis, including generation of alignments, counts and clustering.

I have also installed cellranger on my own server so I can better understand their pipeline.

Comment

I have not done single cell data for 10x but it sounds like your core folks know what they are doing.

Comment

Read 1 begins with the RT primer. It contains the cell barcode, UMI, and oligo(dT), which primes 1st strand synthesis from the mRNA's poly(A) tail. Until you get past the poly(A), which can be long, there's no useful information to be gained from sequencing past the UMI.

Comment

the manager of the facility basically answers 'that's the 10x protocol'

that's the way a manager sounds like

by the way, you can do 10x single cell rna-seq analysis by yourself here: CSI NGS Portal
              Last edited by arkanion; 12-05-2019, 04:59 PM.

Comment

We recently ran 10x libraries as 150bp paired end, and safe to say that after about 28 base pairs on the first read, the data dropped off completely. We panicked at first but then confirmed with Illumina and 10X that what we saw was as expected.

Comment

Q30 read2

How can you avoid getting a low Q30 of read2 (reverse read) in a 150bp paired end run when you sequence 10x sc 3'RNAseq?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses