SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SAMtools rmdup - saving the duplicates? KlausNZ General 7 01-28-2013 02:08 PM
Saving files in R workspace jhan General 9 09-25-2012 12:41 AM
saving samtools mpileup output from a cluster Fedster Genomic Resequencing 5 03-29-2012 07:02 AM
Unintended saving of images on HiSeq kmcarr Illumina/Solexa 6 02-01-2012 01:55 AM
Problem with saving edits in CONSED 19.0 nbenzakour Bioinformatics 3 04-06-2010 03:45 PM

Old 01-25-2019, 06:29 PM   #1
GoodVibesOnly

Post Understanding Power Saving

Hi,

The best way to save power is most probably shutting down the PC when not in use.

But problem is if someone feels like returning to the keyboard every 30-45 mins it becomes really troublesome.

I dont know if its true but I have read that the life of a PC (also) depends on the number of boot cycles.

So what is the best way to save power ? Frankly this the first time I am concerned the subject. Our electricity bill is increasing every month and my family is pointing fingers at me ; )
GoodVibesOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:09 PM   #2
xTheJokerx

When you know you will not be using the computer for a longer period of time you can shut it off completely. As you wrote this is the best way to save energy.
But, when you want/have to do something on the computer every 30-45 minutes I would suggest to configure the power settings which can shutdown the hard disk(s), put the monitor in standby mode and put the computer into sleep so the energy consumption will be very little for the in-between-time. Monitor can be switched off manually as well of course, saving even more energy.
This article seems to be useful as well:
http://hotcoffeeblog.com/Cut_Your_En...Doing_This.htm
xTheJokerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:59 PM   #3
gringer
David Eccles (gringer)

Quote:
Our electricity bill is increasing every month and my family is pointing fingers at me ; )
Buy a power usage monitor (e.g. Kill-a-Watt), and stick it between things and the wall socket to measure power consumption.

Computers these days don't consume much power unless they're doing something like bitcoin mining or genome assemblies. If you have an older computer that is doing intensive bioinformatics all day and all night, you might get to 200-300W consumption over a day (i.e. 7.2 kWh total), which works out to less than $1.50 per day at 20c per kWh.

Three incandescent lights left on all day would consume a similar amount of energy. As would a 2.4kW space heater left on for 3 hours per day.
gringer is offline   Reply With Quote