No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutoffs for TPM values

Hi,

I'm using RSEM to compute gene expression values for two different RNA-seq sample. RSEM outputs tau value which I then converted to TPM value by multiplying it by 10^6.

1) Is there a minimum cutoff value I should set for TPM value? I see some papers filter out genes with TPM < 1 or TPM < 5 before proceeding to further analysis. How do I determine what cutoff should be used?

2) In a set of gene expression results, is it possible to determine which genes are considered highly expressed and which are expressed at low levels? I've see some papers use 1 < TPM < 9 as low and TPM >=100 as moderate/highly expressed, while others use percentiles (e.g. >= 75% percentile as highly expressed).

Thanks in advance.

We seem to have the same issue than several years ago.
    We have a set of RSEM files from different samples and our results from EdgeR point out that we have a lot of noise since we have not filtered out the transcripts based depth of coverage or counts (TPMs, ...).

We have seen that, in our data, a TPM of about 1 use to have around 3x DoC. However, we are not sure how to establish a cutoff or if it is enough by obtaining such relationship and choose the DoC we are confident with.

In addition, we have the question whether we should reanalyze edgeR results after filtering RSEM files, or if "translating" the filtering to the edgeR results would suffice.

Any hint?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses