SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RNA-Seq: S-MART, A Software Toolbox to Aid RNA-seq Data Analysis. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 10-15-2011 04:11 AM
RNA-Seq software evaluation? blue mood RNA Sequencing 4 08-24-2011 05:44 AM
RNA-Seq: Comparative Analysis of RNA-Seq Alignment Algorithms and the RNA-Seq Unified Newsbot! Literature Watch 3 07-31-2011 08:08 PM
RNA-Seq: A survey of statistical software for analysing RNA-seq data. Newsbot! Literature Watch 12 12-20-2010 10:10 PM
DNASTAR Releases Next-Gen RNA-Seq and ChIP-Seq Software DNASTAR Vendor Forum 0 09-22-2010 01:01 PM

Old 03-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
rakesh12

Default RNA-seq alignment software

Hi All,
We are working on RNA-seq data. Our aim is to perform expression quantitative trait loci analysis for these samples. I am trying to find the most optimal method for alignment with very good sensitivity and specificity for RNA-seq data. I am trying to compare four different software for alignment namely MAQ, BWA, Bowtie and Bowtie-2. Can any one of you please suggest which alignment software might be more suitable for RNA-seq? Also, it would be very helpful if you can also provide the comparison in terms of advantages and disadvantages for these software for aligning RNA-seq data.
Thanks for your kind help,
Rakesh
rakesh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
kopi-o

I wouldn't use any of them, unless you map against a transcriptome reference. (If you map against the genome, you will miss splice junctions.) With a transcriptome reference, you won't be able to see novel transcripts or splice variants.

TopHat and many other programs (MapSplice, SpliceMap, RUM, Subread...) can do spliced mapping to the genome.

If you have to use one of your 4 programs, I would choose BWA over MAQ (because they have the same author and BWA is newer) and Bowtie2 over Bowtie (for the same reason).
kopi-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
epi

I generally agree with the person posted above. However, I will factor in read length and reference genome. depending on those, you can still go ahead with your approach in a fraction of time it will take you to do splice alignment
epi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
rakesh12

Hi Kopi,
Thank you so much for your detailed response. I completely agree with you. I am thinking about using Bowtie2 to align RNA-seq data against transciptome reference. Then use RUM for spliced mapping. So, I can quantify gene expression as well isoform expression. Which method should I use for bias correction in terms of total numbers of reads, gene length or normalization?
Also, what are the key differences between BWA and MAQ in terms of sensitivity and specificity apart for been a hash table based vs. Burrows-Wheeler transform algorithms.
Thanks again for your help,
Rakesh
rakesh12 is offline   Reply With Quote