SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Site News > Site Feedback/Suggestions

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minimum Criteria to Publish ChIP-seq data ETHANol Epigenetics 7 12-04-2011 04:35 AM
Lets publish the Wiki! dan Wiki Discussion 108 09-07-2011 09:10 AM
SEQanswers mentioned for the second time in a major journal ECO Site Announcements 3 08-01-2011 08:51 AM
Jim Watson in Excruciating Detail: 454/Baylor Publish Complete Genome Sequence ECO Literature Watch 1 04-16-2008 02:43 PM
Welcome to SEQanswers.com! ECO Site Announcements 0 10-28-2007 03:59 PM

Old 11-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #161
robs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECO View Post
This is harder, as I'm not a MySQL expert. If someone wants to hop on google chat or skype and help me with queries, it shouldn't be too bad to make a tag cloud or similar for #1. #2 i'd have to think about how to query to get, and #3 is easy from Google Analytics.
Thanks for taking a lead on this. Please make sure to apply a filter to not include things from introductions, literature watch, jobs, and the news section (and any others that are not really discussion topics).

"tag cloud" reminds me of wordle (http://www.wordle.net/). Maybe we can combine this with some timeline. If you can upload the tag/topic counts (with dates) somewhere, then we can play around with visualizations.
robs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #162
adaptivegenome
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcowanger View Post
Yes, they say if they don't publish within 2 weeks, then you can consider your letter dead.

Well, it is always fine to file pre-submission inquiry first. At this moment, I think we can concentrate on the short letter to Sci/Nature first.

After we submit it and (touch wood) no good news come in 2 weeks, then we can email multiple journals that includes Genome Bio, Genome Med, PloS Comp Bio, etc.

Bioinformatics seems to lack editorial section.

Any other suggestions?
Honestly, I am really thinking if Science/Nature does not work out, we should go for Genome Medicine or Genome Biology as a Commentary with one figure. I personally would be excited to see this in Genome Medicine but both are great journals.
adaptivegenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #163
adaptivegenome
Super Moderator

Quote:
I can get these numbers tonight, and Marco has an answer to future directions as part of the NAR paper i believe.

This is harder, as I'm not a MySQL expert. If someone wants to hop on google chat or skype and help me with queries, it shouldn't be too bad to make a tag cloud or similar for #1. #2 i'd have to think about how to query to get, and #3 is easy from Google Analytics.
Since I troubled you guys with the suggestion, I would be happy to be responsible for figuring out hot topics for 2007 to now...
Old 11-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #164
marcowanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericforms View Post
Since I troubled you guys with the suggestion, I would be happy to be responsible for figuring out hot topics for 2007 to now...
thanks you genericforms
Old 11-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #165
robs

Quote:
I can get these numbers tonight, and Marco has an answer to future directions as part of the NAR paper i believe.
I just checked and there was no update on the letter since my last changes yesterday. Will you be able to put those numbers in the letter sometime today? Do you need help with anything?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #166
marcowanger

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs View Post
I just checked and there was no update on the letter since my last changes yesterday. Will you be able to put those numbers in the letter sometime today? Do you need help with anything?
Hi Robs, seems the latest ver is #3 located at the wiki page

http://seqanswers.com/wiki/Publicati...for_SEQanswers

I started moving content from Gdoc back to the wiki
Old 11-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #167
robs

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcowanger View Post
Hi Robs, seems the latest ver is #3 located at the wiki page

http://seqanswers.com/wiki/Publicati...for_SEQanswers

I started moving content from Gdoc back to the wiki
I think, we should decide on one place to work on the letter. Otherwise, it will be too confusing and you end up merging things together. I like the comment feature in the Google docs and think that the version there is in much better shape than the Draft #3 in the wiki.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:22 AM   #168
marcowanger

Quote:
I think, we should decide on one place to work on the letter. Otherwise, it will be too confusing and you end up merging things together. I like the comment feature in the Google docs and think that the version there is in much better shape than the Draft #3 in the wiki.
Yes, robs, we should stick to one place.
But some prefer gdoc (myself) and some the wiki. It is always hard to choose among various platform to write together....

Anyway, as the latest ver is being pasted as #3, I think we should respect the change (it's not done by me). Yes, we then have to do additional work to merge things together. I feel ok with it.. I can help merging things back.

I do like the structure of the #3 though, it's more than description or promotion of SEQanswers. Rather it let readers to think about the change of forms of scientific communicaiton, something at least complement to journals.

I suggest to stick to the wiki editing.

Last edited by marcowanger; 11-04-2011 at 02:22 AM. Reason: fix typo
marcowanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #169
adaptivegenome
Super Moderator

I like it too. It is coming along nicely!
Old 11-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #170
marcowanger

Quote:
I like it too. It is coming along nicely!
cool. Keep up the pace.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:25 AM   #171
robs

I merged a few more things from the gdoc and the wiki into the draft #3. There are some good things in the long version that I think would fit quite well into the letter draft.

Any news yet on the tag cloud data?
Old 11-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #172
adaptivegenome
Super Moderator

As I had mentioned earlier, I am happy to assemble that figure if someone gives me access to the post data.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #173
marcowanger

Quote:
As I had mentioned earlier, I am happy to assemble that figure if someone gives me access to the post data.
genericforms. For this issue, you ask ECO or dan

I think we need to query the mysql db ...not familiar with vbulletin system personally
Old 11-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #174
marcowanger

Quote:
I merged a few more things from the gdoc and the wiki into the draft #3. There are some good things in the long version that I think would fit quite well into the letter draft.

Any news yet on the tag cloud data?
Thanks. Let's merge them and see how it goes.

Quote:
What would be nice to have:
1) a keyword analysis on posts to determine what the hot topics were in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011
2) average number of users contributing to a discussion
3) site stats (e.g. site views per day)
Just to bump it it. We still need 3): To be provided by ECO.

1) & 2): need to ask people with mysql access
Old 11-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #175
ECO
--Site Admin--

I am clearly overcommitted elsewhere to work on these queries, sorry for dropping that ball...unfortunately there is no easy way (that I know of, but happy to take suggestions) to give read-only access to the db for people to play with queries. If you have suggestions let me know...I don't know vBulletin's tables well enough to put together the requisite queries.... :/
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:29 AM   #176
adaptivegenome
Super Moderator

Quote:
I am clearly overcommitted elsewhere to work on these queries, sorry for dropping that ball...unfortunately there is no easy way (that I know of, but happy to take suggestions) to give read-only access to the db for people to play with queries. If you have suggestions let me know...I don't know vBulletin's tables well enough to put together the requisite queries.... :/
Rather than grant access to the DB can you simply dump every post to a text file and share that? We can work from the text file to capture the necessary data.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:09 AM   #177
marcowanger

The perfect example to illustrate how this community enable interactions among developers. (http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15200)
Old 11-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #178
adaptivegenome
Super Moderator

You know, I really liked the GDoc approach to collaboratively editing the document. Unless someone objects I would recommend we migrate back especially when we have a more mature draft and are simply refining words and phrases.

macrowanger, I agree the BWA/Bowtie thread has been very educational (at least for me!). Perhaps it is worth emphasizing that the key developers of the tools used for nextgen are members of SeqAnswers.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #179
ECO
--Site Admin--

Quote:
Rather than grant access to the DB can you simply dump every post to a text file and share that? We can work from the text file to capture the necessary data.
Yup, got the sqldump shared in google docs...it's 40MB...send me an email and I'll share it with you, along with the schema.
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #180
adaptivegenome
Super Moderator

Thanks ECO. I sent you a private message with my contact details.

Tags
publication