SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to close SEQanswers account cjb Site Feedback/Suggestions 2 11-21-2011 09:46 AM
Retrieving single bases of the reference genome in R mixter Bioinformatics 1 10-18-2010 02:30 AM
How to bridge genome gaps resulting from repeats? michaelbarton De novo discovery 2 06-29-2010 06:53 AM
Anyone with Solexa RNA-seq 150+bp for non-model sps with no close reference genome? avilella RNA Sequencing 0 03-20-2010 03:46 AM
Anyone with Solexa RNA-seq 75+bp for non-model sps with no close reference genome? avilella RNA Sequencing 0 01-13-2010 02:46 AM

Old 04-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
Zimbobo

Default best way to close gaps in genome with single reads

What is the best way to close gaps (stretches of Ns) in a genome with single reads and also combine contigs/scaffolds.
Zimbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
maubp
Peter (Biopython etc)

Get more sequencing done.

It may even be cost effective in some cases to design primers and use "Sanger" capillary sequencing to target theses specific gaps or confirm particular contig junctions.

If you're doing more high throughput, I'd consider a paired end library - using a different insert length if you've already got some paired end data.
maubp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Zimbobo

I actually meant in silico since I have a draft genome and additional single reads already. I thought of using velvet, the contigs from the draft genome as long reads and add the reads I have in addition, but was wondering whether there are any other (better) ideas out there. Thanks in advance for any suggestion.
Zimbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:18 AM   #4
colindaven

Difficult. You really want paired end reads. (Very) long reads, eg Pac Bio, would be useful too.

There are a already a number of threads on this site about genome assembly strategies.

One suggestion - create contig sets from original reads, then new reads separately eg Velvet.
Trim to 1999bp.
Input into Newbler.
colindaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:03 AM   #5
Linnea

Have you tried GapCloser from the SOAP package? I could close/remove ~80% of the Ns in a 1Gb draft assembly by using paired end reads with inserts of 200-500bp.

Of course, whether it will work or not depends a lot on the genome content, how long the stretches of N are and if the regions around it is hard to map to or not, but it might be worth a try?

Edit: Sorry - I missed the part where it said "single reads".. A bit more tricky then... :/
Linnea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gap closing