SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why GC bias affect the read coverage in RNA-SEQ ? mozart General 8 04-26-2019 01:31 AM
Insert Sizes for Paired End Reads Exactly the same as Read Length rlowe Bioinformatics 0 06-27-2012 04:01 AM
will different pair-end reads length affect assembly? sequensized_simo Bioinformatics 1 06-17-2012 04:36 AM
RNA-Seq: Genome Wide Full-Length Transcript Analysis Using 5' and 3' Paired-End-Tag N Newsbot! Literature Watch 1 01-20-2012 05:38 PM
paired-end read length for de novo assembly Seqasaurus Illumina/Solexa 4 10-19-2011 03:32 AM

Old 02-15-2013, 03:02 AM   #1
bob-loblaw

Default How does read length affect sequencing depth for paired end RNA-Seq?

I'm just wondering if an experiment run using say 50bp reads and that requires a sequencing depth of 200 million reads to fully assess gene expression, what affect will using 100bp reads have on that sequencing depth? Obviously less sequencing depth would be required, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a rough estimate of how much?
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
kmcarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
I'm just wondering if an experiment run using say 50bp reads and that requires a sequencing depth of 200 million reads to fully assess gene expression, what affect will using 100bp reads have on that sequencing depth? Obviously less sequencing depth would be required, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a rough estimate of how much?
When using RNA-Seq to study gene expression read length is not a significant factor; what matters is read counts. Whether you align 100bp paired reads or a 50bp single read to a gene they each still only count as one read. It is counts that give you analytical power in expression studies, not how long your alignments are.
kmcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
kcchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcarr View Post
When using RNA-Seq to study gene expression read length is not a significant factor; what matters is read counts. Whether you align 100bp paired reads or a 50bp single read to a gene they each still only count as one read. It is counts that give you analytical power in expression studies, not how long your alignments are.
What kmcarr is saying is correct; counts mean more than the read length in expression analysis. However, a paired end read 2x50bp will be more beneficial than a 100bp single read as it enables the ability to remove PCR duplicates with more precision.
kcchan is offline   Reply With Quote