SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Genomic Resequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Align paired and unpaired reads with Tophat shocker8786 Bioinformatics 6 02-07-2014 01:02 AM
bwa mem with paired/unpaired reads mchaisso Bioinformatics 3 09-09-2013 10:43 AM
bam to paired AND unpaired fastq reads Kennels Bioinformatics 4 06-18-2013 10:55 PM
Unpaired reads in paired data Nick General 0 06-22-2011 07:19 AM
RNA-Seq analysis with paired and unpaired reads bzhang Bioinformatics 0 05-14-2010 02:15 PM

Old 05-03-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
dcard

Default Variant calling from paired/unpaired reads

I just happened upon a couple question threads in various places that warn against using both paired and non-paired reads for SNP calling.

https://www.biostars.org/p/140318/
http://gatkforums.broadinstitute.org...ngle-end-reads

It appears that paired and unpaired reads are on two different playing fields as far as their mapping quality, which makes sense, and this makes a difference in inferring SNPs downstream. I've tried looking for more information about this and potential ways to overcome it, but I'm not really seeing anything.

I thought I would pose the question to this forum and see what more knowledgeable people can explain. Namely, a more detailed explanation of this problem would be nice for those of us who don't know a ton about what is going on under the hood of various variant calling pipelines (e.g., samtools and GATK). Is it possible to overcome this issue and take advantage of both paired and unpaired (i.e., single-end sequencing or pairs broken upstream)? Are there tools that can account for this?

Any thoughts are appreciated. I have some datasets where using broken pairs would be great, rather than just ignoring them.

Cheers,
Daren
dcard is offline   Reply With Quote