No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowtie mapping and seed length

Hi,

I've been using bowtie function on Galaxy. I just have a quick question with regards to setting seed length when mapping.

I've trimmed my sequencing reads to let say 25bp because of poor read quality. The default mapping parameter state seed length is 28bp.

Would this affect the mapping result?
    Will the mapping even be valid taking more than the sequence reads a seed?
    Is it better to reduce seed length to something like 20bp?

Many thanks for your help

Yep, maybe 18-20bp would be a good idea. As far as I remember the 28bp seed is important for the first rapid scan, and you allow by default 2 mismatches (-n switch). Thereafter, the -e switch becomes important for mismatches.
    I heard a seed of 40bp is appropriate for ~76bp reads, so you should shorten it for yours.

Have a look at the bowtie docs, they're good.

Comment

It seems you applied a rigorous quality filter to make your reads 25bp, or this was not a particular good sequencing run. Anyways, try -v which rids you of seed length altogether.

Originally posted by nilmot13 View Post
      Hi,

I've been using bowtie function on Galaxy. I just have a quick question with regards to setting seed length when mapping.

I've trimmed my sequencing reads to let say 25bp because of poor read quality. The default mapping parameter state seed length is 28bp.

Would this affect the mapping result?
      Will the mapping even be valid taking more than the sequence reads a seed?
      Is it better to reduce seed length to something like 20bp?

Many thanks for your help

Comment

Thank you all for the useful response.

The sequencing run we've done is paired. Read1 has good quality shown in statistical plots which is about 75 bp. Read2 however has much low read quality and the median shown in stats plots suggested anything more 30 bp had low phred score and high amount of variation.

I'll adjust my mapping parameter accordingly then and see what happens.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses