No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maq getting started

Ahhh,

sorry but I usually don't work with Macs so I can't really help you. However I have some thoughts about your last error message:

It seems that you are trying to compile a 64bit version of maq by linking a 32bit library which can't work. You could try two things:

1)
    make clean
    set the environment variable CC to "gcc -m32" (I assume gcc is your compiler)
    ./configure
    make

2)
    make clean
    edit the file Makefile.generic and look for CFLAGS; change -m64 into -m32
    make -f Makefile.generic

Hmm, I don't know if that really helps you. You could also ask the author of maq for a compiled binary for your Mac.

Maybe one of the other mac users in this forum can help you out ...

Wish you luck ,

Andreas

Comment

To Andreas,

actually you did help me, so thank you, thank you.

you are quite correct that I was trying to compile a 64bit version of maq by linking a 32bit library.

Editing the Makefile.generic at CFLAGS did solve the problem.

I now just have to find some example data to trial the program with while I wait for our sequence to come.

thanks very much again

alig

Comment

easy run failed

hi while running maq-0.6.8 in easy run command i am getting this error msg.
        fail to run command '(cd easyrun; /usr/local/bin/maq map -n 2 -e 70 -u [email protected] [email protected] ref.bfa [email protected] 2> [email protected])' at ../maq-0.6.8/scripts/maq.pl line 842
        can any one tell me the possible reason for this failed msg?

Comment

Same error here...

-- 0 potential soa-indels pass the filter.
          -- 2 potential pe-indels pass the filter.
          -- CMD: (cd easyrun; ln -s cns.final.snp cns.filter.snp)
          ln: creating symbolic link `cns.filter.snp': File exists
          ** fail to run command '(cd easyrun; ln -s cns.final.snp cns.filter.snp)' at /usr/local/bin/maq.pl line 842.
          ** fail to run command '(cd maqdemo; /usr/local/bin/maq.pl easyrun -p -d easyrun ref.bfa r1.fq r2.fq)' at /usr/local/bin/maq.pl line 842.

I am new to MAQ... as well as to this forum, so kindly forgive me if i go wrong somewhere...
          and kindly help in solving the above error..

Comment

--> ln: creating symbolic link `cns.filter.snp': File exists <--

The script tries to create a link cns.filter.snp to the file cns.final.snp. However this is not possible if the link already exists. A linux thing ...

Simply remove all files that were created by an previous maq.pl run and try again ...

Andreas

Comment

running maq on linux ubuntu 32 bit

Thanks for the reply andpet, yes what you mentioned is true and in the above case the problem was because of that only.
              I had tried running after clearing the existing output files. I would like to first mention here that i am now able to successfully execute the MAQ demo. I would also like to share another piece of experience here:
              I am working on a 32 bit core 2 duo, Linux machine.
              Though I was able to run the maq v0.6.8 executables, directly downloaded from the sourceforge download page, i was unable to run this version compiled from source code on my machine.
              Invariably I was getting stuck at the following error during execution:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              *** buffer overflow detected ***: /home/.../maq-0.7.1/scripts/maq terminated

** fail to run command '(cd maqdemo; /home/.../maq-0.7.1/scripts/maq simustat easyrun/all.map > eval.simustat)' at ./maq.pl line 842.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later I discovered that it was coming because of a compile time optimization parameter in the Makefile.generic:

CFLAGS= -g -Wall -O2 -m64 # comment out `-m64' for 32-bit compilation

removed the '-O2' from the above flag and changed -m64 to -m32 (as mentioned in other posts) and compiled the source code. This solved the purpose and ran the executable to completion.
              Last edited by kunalfab; 11-04-2009, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses