No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over-represented sequences

Hi,

I have one lane (~360 million reads) of Illumina transcriptome data which I am trying to assemble. Having only a tiny server, I am attempting to reduce this dataset with digital normalization. However, before doing this, I have run fastqc which flags up some over-represented sequences. When I BLAST these, I get matches to my organism's 16S, 18S and 28S rRNA genes.

As a bit of a beginner, I was wondering whether this was normal and whether I need to worry or do anything about this?

Any help or advice very much appreciated!!

That's completely normal, don't give it a second thought.

Comment

It's quite normal, especially if the library prep was done using total RNA, and not using any methods to reduce or remove ribosomal RNA.

Comment

Phew, thank you for the responses. Mind much at rest and now onwards to diginorm-ing!

Comment

If you're not interested in ribosomal genes, you might as well remove all those reads.

Comment

Hi everybody,

actually I had the same problem (that is not really a problem but something that is quite normal) and I want to ask you an opinion that it might be helpful also for starbug16.

I did several libraries by using different kits and I had different percentages of reads mapping to rRNAs, ranging from 1 to 30%.
            I think that the problem arises when you have to compare samples having very different percentages of rRNAs. I mean: if I have to find DE between 2 samples having respectively 15% and 30% of rRNA reads, I have the impression that final results are biased by the very different percentages of rRNAs (which compete for the sequencing and affect the number of mRNA sequences). Did you understand my point?
            In this case, do you think that a normalization procedure (like TMM or DESeq) will minimize this issue?

Thank you to anybody who will tell his opinion!

Marianna

Comment

I usually remove reads that map to rRNA(and/or other sources of contamination) , then proceed with mapping/DE-analysis .

Comment

Hi Yueluo,
                so you think it is not a problem if your samples have really different percentages of rRNAs??

Marianna

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-04-2024, 09:00 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-04-2024, 08:48 AM
                0 responses