SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gene Prediction: AUGUSTUS Amanda_G Bioinformatics 3 01-02-2017 01:53 AM
Augustus gene prediction CDS problem joxcargator73 Bioinformatics 4 03-26-2015 04:58 PM
[Gene Prediction] AUGUSTUS program syintel87 Bioinformatics 1 02-16-2014 09:15 AM
augustus gene finder condomitti Bioinformatics 2 11-23-2013 06:24 AM
SNP function prediction in non-human species spark Bioinformatics 7 01-22-2013 02:45 AM

Old 10-26-2018, 05:01 AM   #1
morko

Default Gene prediction - new species - augustus

Hi,
I am new to the bioinformatics field and I already tried getting my gene prediction with busco+augustus, scipio(merged proteins from cryptodb)+augustus but the results weren't corresponding to the expectations and specifics of the organism - lots of introns.

The organism is cryptosporidium proliferans.
I've only got the assembly from Mira. Is it possible to use coding and transcript sequences from close species (cryptosporidium muris - cryptodb files) to get hints and then reliable gene prediction?

I am not sure how to train augustus right and then get good results. Or is there a better software you'd recommend?

Thanks.
morko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:42 PM   #2
neavemj

Hi Morko,

I would recommend MAKER (http://www.yandell-lab.org/software/maker.html). This is an annotation pipeline that will allow you to use homology-based predictions from closely related species, combined with computational prediction methods (such as augustus and GeneMark). The pipeline will run all of these methods then produce consensus predictions of the best gene models.

Cheers,

Matt.
neavemj is offline   Reply With Quote