No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plotting ChIP-seq read profiles relative to genomic features

Hello all,

I’m fairly new to the business of NGS data analysis. I was wondering whether anybody might have some advice or could suggest some resources for plotting average ChIP-seq profiles relative to genomic features such as transcription start sites and, particularly, enhancers. In my case, I’m looking to use such a plot to compare the H3K4me1 ChIP profiles between control and knockdown cells as they may occur relative to TSSs or enhancers.

Precisely what kind of files are required? A file for the total list of TSSs or gene transcript genomic regions found throughout the genome? A BED file corresponding to the H3K4me1 reads in control and knockdown cells? I’ve also noticed that with such read profiles (at least for certain histone mod reads plotted relative to TSSs) that some people group their reads together in 100bp windows and plot these relative to the TSS. How might I do something like this? Some people use average read density while others use cumulative reads occurring within such windows – Is using either the average read density or cumulative number of reads more advisable?

Also, how is it possible to make a BED file for something like enhancers detailing their genomic positions, or do we have to use surrogates like p300 binding sites and assume that these regions are likely to be associated with enhancers?

Thanks!

if you are using R and coverage vectors, here is a good starting point
    The Bioconductor project aims to develop and share open source software for precise and repeatable analysis of biological data. We foster an inclusive and collaborative community of developers and data scientists.

Comment

If you know at least a little bit of Python (or feel like learning it), give HTSeq a try. I've just added a new chapter to the documentation, which uses the example of making such plots to explain how to use HTSeq.

Comment

These are what I am looking for.
        Many many thanks

Comment

If u want to have a quick and easy look at your data simply use SeqMINER. No R no Phyton ;D. It generates a heatmap around e.g. TSS and also shows you a density histogram you were looking for. It has a graphical interface and it will work on Linux/OSX/Windows.

Comment

I agree with howi...seqMINER works very well to plot heatmaps around TSS.

Comment

This is an old post ... but I cannot resist to make a small advertising for my (beta-version) tool that might be of interest to some of you.

So I developped a tool which displays high quality pictures of binding profiles (peaks) around features. I presently works for 4 assemblies (2 mice and 2 human) but I would be happy to add more or to give the source code of the tool.

http://rsat.bigre.ulb.ac.be/~sylvain...files_form.php

Thank you for the feed-back.

Sylvain

Comment

Give ngs.plot a try: http://code.google.com/p/ngsplot/

ngs.plot is developed in R but does not require any knowledge in R programming. All you need is just install it and then run like a command line program. It can plot multiple genomic features, such as TSS, TES, genebody, exons, CpG islands. For enhancers, you may have to put the genomic coordinates into a BED file and then give it to ngs.plot.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses