No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBmap dedupe help

Greetings,

I am currently running the dedupe command and while I have not had too much trouble with it, I am having what seems to be an input reading error. Rather than putting in my files one at a time separated by commas (which works but takes a lot of time if Im running a lot of files). How can I run a directory that contains all my files? I have used ${line} but it doesn't seem to give me a correct output. It doesn't seem to read through all the files in the folder.

Thanks!

What is the reason for deduplicating the data, if I may ask? What kind of data is this? Generally you should not need to dedupe the data upfront.

I know @Brian had allowed ref= to be a directory for BBSplit but I don't know if a similar option exists for dedupe.sh.

Comment

Hi... sorry, there's no such option right now. But if you want to deduplicate a bunch of files together, you can do this:

cat *.fasta | dedupe.sh in=stdin.fasta out=deduped.fasta

I'm also curious as to the nature of the data; are you deduplicating multiple assemblies?

Comment

Thank you both for the reply. Brian I will give that a try and see if it works! I am currently running raw peatland microbial data but am currently working with just a few of the files to get some practice. I am also looking to see the differences in output between BBmap and pandaseq.

Comment

Hello again, I still seem to be running into some problems. When I attempt to run my files at once, using ${line} (which is a loop correct?) my output file is only 4.1MB. When I put my fasta files in one at a time separated by commas, my dedupe file is 12MB, which is the roughly the correct size it should be. This way of doing it works well for the moment, but I am only using 4 files for practice and will be using much more in the future, so putting them in one at a time may not be a great way of doing it. @Brian I have tried the method you had requested earlier but I may be formatting my command line incorrectly, Id be happy to show you if that helps in anyway.
          Any advice is appreciated!

Thank you!

Comment

Hi James,

Please post the exact command you used and the complete error message.

Also, I'm not really very good at command-line one-liners, but I'm sure it's possible to combine "ls *.fasta" with sed or awk to get a comma-delimited list of files.

Comment

for line in $(cat /Users/jamesseward/Desktop/Canada/MappingFiles/plate10_map2.txt);do sh /Users/jamesseward/Desktop/Canada/bbmap/dedupe.sh -Xmx1g in=/Users/jamesseward/Desktop/Canada/bbDuk/Final_Fastq/Merge/${line}_Merge.fasta out=/Users/jamesseward/Desktop/Canada/bbDuk/dedupe/Dereplicated.fasta; done

while I am not getting an error message, this way produces an output file that is much smaller than when I use commas for my input.

Thank you very much for the help!

James

Comment

Since you are outputting all of the files to the same destination, the output keeps getting overwritten, so the final result is just the deduplicated version of the last file.

Note that even if you appended subsequent output to the file instead of overwriting it (with the flags "ow=f append=t"), you'd still get a different output than using all of the files at once with commas. Running dedupe on multiple files at once will deduplicate them together; you are deduplicating them independently.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses