SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Software tools for detecting Copy Number Variations (CNV) smice Bioinformatics 26 05-04-2016 09:05 AM
About tools for comparing genomes of two different organisms v3borg Bioinformatics 7 03-05-2014 09:19 AM
Help regg. tools for comparing two sets of contigs from de-novo assembly jsreddy82 Bioinformatics 1 03-04-2014 06:13 AM
Population genetics software/tools -NGS data bioman1 Bioinformatics 0 10-12-2012 10:16 AM
Comparing SNP/indel detection tools on 454 dePhi 454 Pyrosequencing 2 03-07-2009 04:41 AM

Old 09-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
anth

Default Software tools for comparing entire methylomes (WGBS)

Software tools for comparing entire methylomes (WGBS)

I am currently exploring the possibility of comparing entire methylomes of genets exposed to two different conditions.

There seem to be a few options as for software tools to map bisulfite-seq reads (Bismark), but the options for comparing entire methylomes don't seem to exist as a tools as of yet.

Essentially, I would like to model the work of Heyn et al. 2012. The details of their methods are available in supplemental materials.

Is there a less cumbersome way of achieving what they are doing? Are there any tools capable of this? What is the most efficient way of identifying differential methylation between two samples?

Thank you!

Last edited by anth; 09-25-2013 at 01:46 PM. Reason: My hasty post appeared to describe an experiment with an n of 1.
anth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
dpryan
Devon Ryan

Do you really just have 2 samples? The normal reply would be to reference bsseq, but with just 2 samples I doubt any results would be meaningful. Why didn't you use biological replicates? You have absolutely no way of knowing if any differences are due to your treatment or are just normal variation.
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
anth

Thanks for your reply. The experiment has not been undertaken yet - but there will absolutely be biological replicates for each condition. I have edited the original post to correct this.
anth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
bdexicon

Hi anth,

My lab just published our WGBS toolbox and database, MethPipe/MethBase. We analyzed ~200 WGBS datasets (including the Heyn set you linked), calling single-base resolution methylation levels as well as identifying high-level methylation features like HMRs, allele-specific methylation, and PMDs. This should allow you to generate your own data, run it through our pipeline, and compare it to the public data knowing that you used the same methods.

You can find the paper at
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:...l.pone.0081148

The database and pipeline themselves (and a user manual) can be found here:

http://smithlab.usc.edu/methbase/
http://smithlab.usc.edu/methpipe/

Let me know if you give it a try/have any questions. Good luck!
bdexicon is offline   Reply With Quote