No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOLiD v3 vs Solexa

Hi.

Are there anybody who use SOLiD v3 and solexa sequencers?

I just want to know that SOliD v3 system have a problems and what's the disadvantage of SoliD compare with Solexa.

Thank you.

SOLiD v.3 is rather new technology. It is just being rolled out (we may ours by the end of the month). I doubt if you will much feedback on how SOLiD v.3 works much less a comparison of Solexa versus SOLiD v.3.

My gut level feeling -- not having either platform -- is that Solexa is easier to set up and run on the laboratory side. SOLiD v.3 with 50 base paired reads will be very nice. Lots of data that can, maybe, be de-novo aligned.

Comment

Any specific concerns? SOLiD v3 seems to be much improved in handling (labwise) compared to v2, not sure how it compares to Illumina. Sample preps are similar, not yet automated on either system. SOLiD will give more reads per run (2 slides, currently around 100 000 000 aligned reads per slide seems normal) but Illumina can do longer reads (> 100 bases reported).

Comment

SOLiD v3 was released in February 2009 thus every comparison study to date was done using older versions.

The Genome Analyzer is up to version IIx and was also upgraded this year.

Both Illumina and ABI are claiming that they will get over 90Gb of sequence data by the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Chipper View Post
          Any specific concerns? SOLiD v3 seems to be much improved in handling (labwise) compared to v2 ...
          No specific concerns since we have yet to do the lab work for an actual v.3 run. v.3 is suppose to be more simple ... but there is a long way between "suppose to" and "really acts like".

I hope to be able to report some limited real-life experience in a month or so.

Comment

Originally posted by westerman View Post
            No specific concerns since we have yet to do the lab work for an actual v.3 run. v.3 is suppose to be more simple ... but there is a long way between "suppose to" and "really acts like".

I hope to be able to report some limited real-life experience in a month or so.

Hi westerman, I was just wondering if you'd had any experiences that you could feed back relating to this link. We currently have a 454 and are debating on what platform to invest in next. Any feedback you could offer would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by jOn View Post
              Hi westerman, I was just wondering if you'd had any experiences that you could feed back relating to this link. We currently have a 454 and are debating on what platform to invest in next. Any feedback you could offer would be great.
              The lab people do like the v.3 chemistry more than v.2. On the informatics side having 300 million 50 base pair mate reads is really nice to have. One could envision being close to de-novo assembly. I am not that enthused about the Corona lite software that ABI/LifeTech provides but it does do a lot -- SNP calling, Indels, transcriptomes, etc. Additionally there have sprung up other programs that deal with the SOLiD's color-space data format; these programs may provide easier or better results than Corona Lite. Support from ABI is generally good.

As for which platform would be better -- Solexa or SOLiD -- I can not really comment on since we do not have a Solexa. I recall reading that there are more Solexas out in the field than SOLiD machines but that could just be due to a first-arrival-on-the-scene scenario.

Comment

Many thanks - that member# of yours is pretty Rock n Roll too.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                0 responses