SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to count the reads mapping to different regions from tophat output vivienne_lovely RNA Sequencing 5 04-19-2016 11:39 AM
Count the Number of Paired-End Reads Mapped by Tophat Fernas Bioinformatics 5 10-23-2015 03:26 AM
Count intervals of multiply mapped reads overlapping the genome sunkissbean Bioinformatics 2 01-08-2015 07:58 AM
HTSeq-count large proportion of mapped reads with no_feature edm1 Bioinformatics 4 05-26-2014 09:28 AM

Old 04-19-2016, 12:33 PM   #1
bvk

Default how to get the count of reads mapped to rRNA regions?

Hi all,

I just mapped the RNA-Seqs by Tophat and got the output file accepted_hit.bam. I also have gtf file. I want to count the reads mapping to rRNA regions and also other. I hope featurecounts can be used. But could anyone please tell me how to give the options and different parameters.

Any reply will be appreciated.

Thank you very much.
bvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:55 PM   #2
GenoMax

For reference cross-posted (and mostly answered): https://www.biostars.org/p/187338

@bvk: Please check the links for featureCounts page posted and read featureCounts manual starting at page #27.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:45 AM   #3
bvk

Hi,

As you said I had a look in the manual.

featureCounts -p -t exon -g gene_id -a hg19_RefSeq.gtf -o counts.txt accepted_hits.bam

This Summarize paired-end reads and count fragments (instead of reads).

This is the output I got.

//========================== featureCounts setting ===========================\\
|| ||
|| Input files : 1 BAM file ||
|| P MCF10A_BaP_pool1_R1_postTrimming/accepted_ ... ||
|| ||
|| Output file : counts.txt ||
|| Annotations : hg19_RefSeq.gtf (GTF) ||
|| ||
|| Threads : 1 ||
|| Level : meta-feature level ||
|| Paired-end : yes ||
|| Strand specific : no ||
|| Multimapping reads : not counted ||
|| Multi-overlapping reads : not counted ||
|| Read orientations : fr ||
|| ||
|| Chimeric reads : counted ||
|| Both ends mapped : not required ||
|| ||
\\===================== http://subread.sourceforge.net/ ======================//

//================================= Running ==================================\\
|| ||
|| Load annotation file hg19_RefSeq.gtf ... ||
|| Features : 432390 ||
|| Meta-features : 24019 ||
|| Chromosomes/contigs : 24 ||
|| ||
|| Process BAM file MCF10A_BaP_pool1_R1_postTrimming/accepted_hits.bam... ||
|| Paired-end reads are included. ||
|| Assign fragments (read pairs) to features... ||
|| ||
|| WARNING: reads from the same pair were found not adjacent to each ||
|| other in the input (due to read sorting by location or ||
|| reporting of multi-mapping read pairs). ||
|| ||
|| Read re-ordering is performed. ||
|| ||
|| Total fragments : 56783755 ||
|| Successfully assigned fragments : 31088269 (54.7%) ||
|| Running time : 4.13 minutes ||
|| ||
|| Read assignment finished. ||
|| ||
\\===================== http://subread.sourceforge.net/ ======================//

Is this right one to count reads mapped to rRNA regions. Could you please help me.

Thank you

Last edited by bvk; 04-20-2016 at 03:16 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:34 AM   #4
Michael.Ante

There are a couple of annotations for rRNA regions (e.g. the repeat masker) which you can use to count reads in these regions. Nevertheless, rRNA is located in clusters which itself have repeats. Most reads originating from rRNA would map too many times and would be discarded then by Tophat.
The easiest way of counting reads mapping to the rRNA is to generate a bowtie2 index from the rRNA sequences (28S, 5.8S, 18S, 5S, the 45S pre-ribosomal cluster, and the mt-rRNAs) and map your reads with bowtie2.
Michael.Ante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:42 AM   #5
bvk

Actually the samples which I have are rRNA depleted but from the person who did sequencing told me there may be some present still. As I already have gtf and bam files I'm trying to use featureCounts to count the reads mapped to rRNA regions.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:50 AM   #6
GenoMax

If you use a GTF file that only has genes (and things that you are interested in) then the resulting counts file only has counts for those features. Unless you are actually interested in rRNA biology you can safely ignore the reads that mapped to rRNA past this point.

BTW: You should look at the contents of counts.txt.summary file or post it here. I suggest that you stop worrying about rRNA (assuming you are not interested in rRNA) and move on with your DE analysis.

Last edited by GenoMax; 04-20-2016 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:58 AM   #7
bvk

Here it is... the contents of counts.txt.summary file
Status MCF10A_BaP_pool1_R1_postTrimming/accepted_hits.bam
Assigned 31088269
Unassigned_Ambiguity 613410
Unassigned_MultiMapping 15375382
Unassigned_NoFeatures 9706694
Unassigned_Unmapped 0
Unassigned_MappingQuality 0
Unassigned_FragmentLength 0
Unassigned_Chimera 0
Unassigned_Secondary 0
Unassigned_Nonjunction 0
Unassigned_Duplicate 0

Yes actually Im interested in rRNA biology. I guess the gtf file doesn't have that info. So, how can I get a gtf file with only rRNA regions?
Old 04-20-2016, 05:08 AM   #8
bvk

Ok. Just now I searched I can get it from UCSC table browser. So now how can I give the arguments and options for featureCounts. As I said before the command which I gave gives fragments.

I need read pairs mapped to rRNA regions.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:09 AM   #9
GenoMax

What does the following command produce when you run it on the GTF file you used?
Code:
$ grep rRNA your_GTF_file
If you don't get anything then there is no annotation for rRNA in your file. I believe only ensembl may have rRNA annotations (UCSC GTF does not, I have mouse ensembl files and there is rRNA there).

At this point you have two choices. You can either map your reads against just the rDNA repeat (that I had linked in Biostars thread) or use a different genome build (e.g. Ensembl verify that it has rRNA annotations) and re-do your Tophat alignments.

If you are interested in rRNA biology then why were these samples ribo-depleted? You have likely lost most of the interesting data you would have wanted in this process.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:10 AM   #10
GenoMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvk View Post
Ok. Just now I searched I can get it from UCSC table browser. So now how can I give the arguments and options for featureCounts. As I said before the command which I gave gives fragments.

I need read pairs mapped to rRNA regions.
Fragments are represented by read pairs (reads sample the two ends of the fragment).
Old 04-20-2016, 05:18 AM   #11
bvk

But I found a link which is telling how to get rRNA gtf file from UCSC table browser. check this once.
http://onetipperday.sterding.com/201...csc-table.html

Yes, as my samples are ribo depleted the person who did sequencing said me that there me be some rRNA still present. So, they also want the reads which are mapped to rRNA.

Can you give me the right information whether it can be done or not. Thank you
Old 04-20-2016, 05:23 AM   #12
bvk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenoMax View Post
What does the following command produce when you run it on the GTF file you used?
Code:
$ grep rRNA your_GTF_file
If you don't get anything then there is no annotation for rRNA in your file. I believe only ensembl may have rRNA annotations (UCSC GTF does not, I have mouse ensembl files and there is rRNA there).

At this point you have two choices. You can either map your reads against just the rDNA repeat (that I had linked in Biostars thread) or use a different genome build (e.g. Ensembl verify that it has rRNA annotations) and re-do your Tophat alignments.

If you are interested in rRNA biology then why were these samples ribo-depleted? You have likely lost most of the interesting data you would have wanted in this process.
When I gave that command it didn't give anything. May be that gtf doesn't have any info regarding rRNA?
Old 04-20-2016, 05:25 AM   #13
GenoMax

IF the rRNA GTF file you downloaded from UCSC is for the exact genome build of the reference you used (and assuming that reference was also from UCSC) for doing TopHat alignments then you can use that GTF file to count the reads that map to the features defined in the rRNA GTF file.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:26 AM   #14
GenoMax

Quote:
When I gave that command it didn't give anything. May be that gtf doesn't have any info regarding rRNA?
Your original GTF file does not have any information about rRNA. We have confirmed this now.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:29 AM   #15
bvk

Quote:
IF the GTF file you downloaded from UCSC is for the exact genome build of the reference you used (and assuming that reference was also from UCSC) for doing TopHat alignments then you can use that GTF file to count the reads that map to the features defined in the rRNA GTF file.
Ok. But the featureCounts command is the same as given before? or it should be changed?
Old 04-20-2016, 05:36 AM   #16
GenoMax

Quote:
Ok. But the featureCounts command is the same as given before? or it should be changed?
Same command. You should use the rRNA GTF file instead of the original one. Adjust output file names if you need to keep those results around.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:52 AM   #17
bvk

Quote:
Same command. You should use the rRNA GTF file instead of the original one. Adjust output file names if you need to keep those results around.
OK. I used the same command. please have a look and tell me.

featureCounts -p -t exon -g gene_id -a hg19_rRNA -o MCF10A_BaP_pool1_counts.txt MCF10A_BaP_pool1_R1_postTrimming/accepted_hits.bam

//========================== featureCounts setting ===========================\\
|| ||
|| Input files : 1 BAM file ||
|| P MCF10A_BaP_pool1_R1_postTrimming/accepted_ ... ||
|| ||
|| Output file : MCF10A_BaP_pool1_counts.txt ||
|| Annotations : hg19_rRNA (GTF) ||
|| ||
|| Threads : 1 ||
|| Level : meta-feature level ||
|| Paired-end : yes ||
|| Strand specific : no ||
|| Multimapping reads : not counted ||
|| Multi-overlapping reads : not counted ||
|| Read orientations : fr ||
|| ||
|| Chimeric reads : counted ||
|| Both ends mapped : not required ||
|| ||

//================================= Running ==================================\\
|| ||
|| Load annotation file hg19_rRNA ... ||
|| Features : 1769 ||
|| Meta-features : 3 ||
|| Chromosomes/contigs : 38 ||
|| ||
|| Process BAM file MCF10A_BaP_pool1_R1_postTrimming/accepted_hits.bam... ||
|| Paired-end reads are included. ||
|| Assign fragments (read pairs) to features... ||
|| ||
|| ||
|| Read re-ordering is performed. ||
|| ||
|| Total fragments : 56783755 ||
|| Successfully assigned fragments : 246578 (0.4%) ||
|| Running time : 3.98 minutes ||
|| ||
|| Read assignment finished. ||
|| ||

Thank you
Old 04-20-2016, 05:55 AM   #18
GenoMax

Provided the input files were correct this is the relevant bit

Quote:
Successfully assigned fragments : 246578 (0.4%)
That would mean you have 246578 reads (each from R1/R2 files) that are aligning to rRNA (if that is the only thing in your GTF file). So the ribo-depletion appears to have worked reasonably well. Does not help you if you actually were interested in rRNA.

There is also this warning to keep in mind

Last edited by GenoMax; 04-20-2016 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:04 AM   #19
bvk

Quote:
Provided the input files were correct this is the relevant bit

That would mean you have 246578 reads (each from R1/R2 files) that are aligning to rRNA (if that is the only thing in your GTF file). So the ribo-depletion appears to have worked reasonably well. Does not help you if you actually were interested in rRNA.

There is also this warning to keep in mind

what do you mean here (Does not help you if you actually were interested in rRNA.) I didn't get this. There are 246578 read pairs aligned to rRNA regions. Could you please tell clearly about the warning. And finally is this right or not? If not how can I do now?

Last edited by bvk; 04-20-2016 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:28 AM   #20
GenoMax

Ribodepletion has worked well (only 0.4% reads align to rRNA).

Fragments that go into a library have a size distribution and generally it is possible to infer the size of the fragment based on the alignments to a reference. The warning indicates that in some cases the reads were found to be not at the expected distance from each other. This is to be expected since you are looking at a repeat region and the annotation is not perfect.

You have said you (or the person who did the experiment, if you are only analyzing the data) are interested in rRNA biology yet the samples are rRNA depleted. So those two observations are contradictory. Aside from this we don't have any information about what this experiment was for (e.g. were you only interested in finding expression levels of genes but not differential expression or are there groups of samples that need to be analyzed for differential expression) so only you have an idea as to what is to be done next.

Tags
feature counts, reads counts, rnaseq analysis