SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Site News > Site Feedback/Suggestions

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minimum Criteria to Publish ChIP-seq data ETHANol Epigenetics 7 12-04-2011 05:35 AM
Lets publish the Wiki! dan Wiki Discussion 108 09-07-2011 10:10 AM
SEQanswers mentioned for the second time in a major journal ECO Site Announcements 3 08-01-2011 09:51 AM
Jim Watson in Excruciating Detail: 454/Baylor Publish Complete Genome Sequence ECO Literature Watch 1 04-16-2008 03:43 PM
Welcome to SEQanswers.com! ECO Site Announcements 0 10-28-2007 04:59 PM

Old 12-07-2011, 10:59 PM   #361
robs

We still need content for "Use Cases and Success Stories" and "Outlook and Perspective".
robs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:47 AM   #362
Joann

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs View Post
Seems like Joann removed mine as well. I assumed that the removal of my edits was by accident and added them again.
The wiki log shows I added material on December 5. I did not remove or edit any existing material and do not intend to, so I don't know what happened.
Joann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:56 AM   #363
Joann

Quote:
We still need content for "Use Cases and Success Stories" and "Outlook and Perspective".
On the topic of open access I have located some current thinking of relevance to discussing the forum but it will likely take some additional time to obtain correct permission from the authors and to apply some comparative analysis. My sense is that there is limited time and space at this point for inclusion of this material here.

On the other hand, if there is a decision to include accurate details on the country participation to illustrate the support for open science demonstrated here, I would suggest that SEQanswers/authors propose undertaking periodic updates of this metric to enable longer term scientometric monitoring for the growth and expansion of open science and issue an invite to other open science platforms to do the same. This would have particular weight since it has been easy to recognize on this forum the signficance of international contributors who have added to the US-UK 50% bar in figure 3

Depending on the length of the article and with additional material, this report may be suitable as a regular contribution to Science rather than a letter.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #364
marcowanger

Quote:
OK, working on that ..
Old 12-15-2011, 05:47 PM   #365
robs

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcowanger View Post
OK, working on that ..
Seems like we are stuck right now. There were no changes over the last week.
Could you figure out which part you will be able to work on and which one I should try to tackle next?
Old 12-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #366
adaptivegenome
Super Moderator

Quote:
Seems like we are stuck right now. There were no changes over the last week.
Could you figure out which part you will be able to work on and which one I should try to tackle next?
I agree. Genome Medicine has been waiting since the the 23rd of November. I for one am in a rut because it is so hard to edit and visualize a paper in a wiki. Could we please move to GDocs? I would volunteer to port everything and I would do it tonight.

GDoc tracks changes just like a wiki and we can even highlight each contribution with a different highlight color. Besides the key contributors are rather clear at this point anyways....
adaptivegenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #367
robs

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericforms View Post
Could we please move to GDocs?
I am fine with either.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #368
adaptivegenome
Super Moderator

I will create a GDoc tonight then without disturbing the wiki. I'm sure Marco is fine with GDocs as well and we can all get our edits in. Let's try to set a goal of Wednesday next week for edits?
Old 12-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #369
marcowanger

sorry guys. I was occupied over the week.

Thanks for creating a Gdoc. Will work on it over the weekend...
Old 12-16-2011, 07:24 AM   #370
Joann

Default length?

How long will this paper be? I'd like to include an entire section on open access with some comparative data if there'd be room.

Is there a link to the googledoc?
Old 12-16-2011, 07:29 AM   #371
adaptivegenome
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joann View Post
How long will this paper be? I'd like to include an entire section on open access with some comparative data if there'd be room.

Is there a link to the googledoc?
Joann, I am almost done setting this up. If you would like to add a section this should be no problem. We have a total of 800-1500 words. I would say we should probably not write an epic, but there should be room for anything you want to add.

Send me a PM and I will send you a link today as soon as I finish it.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #372
robs

Quote:
Send me a PM and I will send you a link today as soon as I finish it.
We should make the link to the gdoc accessible for everyone. Why not post it here?
Old 12-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #373
adaptivegenome
Super Moderator

Yes. I will do this.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #374
adaptivegenome
Super Moderator

I was trying to find time to add in my edits but it will probably be a couple more days. However I do not want to hold back Marco and Rob and others, so here is the link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...6BQWsyZqE/edit

The document is at least now formatted in such a way that we can export and submit directly to the journal. I put the authors that were in the wiki but people should add themselves if I missed someone. Also feel free to change the order.

I shorten the abstract because we only get 200 words (so far it is 144). The remainder of the abstract text was moved to the body not because it flows well but because I did not want to delete it.

Rob should add in the two figures he made. They are great. And we should put in figure legends. People can list references as PUBMED IDs or if they want full text citations. It does not matter though because I will convert it all to endnote before we submit.

With a little bit of formatting and editing, I think we can put this all together next week... I will post my changes by Monday.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:27 AM   #375
marcowanger

Quote:
We should make the link to the gdoc accessible for everyone. Why not post it here?
robs, need your attention, please see the google doc. (comment)
Old 12-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #376
adaptivegenome
Super Moderator

When we submit the paper, we can use the current resolution figures embedded in the document. If the manuscript is accepted, then we need to upload high-res images (1200dpi). I am going to split the figures from their legends. All legends should be on a separate page...
Old 12-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #377
adaptivegenome
Super Moderator

I like Figure 3 a lot but it is very small and seems to relate to Figure 1. Is there are way we can make it part of Figure 1 and have an (A) and a (B). This will be a better use of space and I think will look better. For example, we could stack them, Figure 1 on top and Figure 3 right underneath and enlarged to be the width of the plot in Figure 1.

Rob/Marco, are you guys okay with this?
Old 12-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #378
robs

Quote:
When we submit the paper, we can use the current resolution figures embedded in the document. If the manuscript is accepted, then we need to upload high-res images (1200dpi). I am going to split the figures from their legends. All legends should be on a separate page...
Google docs only allows a maximum height/width of 1600px. I can send you higher resolution figures when needed.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #379
robs

Quote:
I like Figure 3 a lot but it is very small and seems to relate to Figure 1. Is there are way we can make it part of Figure 1 and have an (A) and a (B). This will be a better use of space and I think will look better. For example, we could stack them, Figure 1 on top and Figure 3 right underneath and enlarged to be the width of the plot in Figure 1.
I am not sure if we can relate both. Figure 1 shows the activity of forum members (as in contributing to the forum with posts), but figure 3 shows the number of visitors from Google Analytics (which might only be visiting, but not posting).
Old 12-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #380
adaptivegenome
Super Moderator

Quote:
I am not sure if we can relate both. Figure 1 shows the activity of forum members (as in contributing to the forum with posts), but figure 3 shows the number of visitors from Google Analytics (which might only be visiting, but not posting).
I think we should frame Figure 1 as a summary of the community. The community is made of (A) authors who contribute posts and threads and (B) readers who benefit from the contributions.

We can comment that we are not confident whether the contributor breakdown mirrors the readership breakdown.

Then Figure 2 works for showing how fast problems are solved; and this relates to the board enabling fast timescales of innovation.

Do you think we can do this? Stylistically I think it works better than having a small and out of place Figure 3. And for a compact correspondence it looks better and will be easier to follow I think.

Let me know if you are okay with this.

Last edited by adaptivegenome; 12-19-2011 at 12:15 PM. Reason: typo

Tags
publication