Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displaying RNA-Seq reads scaled in proportion to the depth of sequencing?

I have run into a problem with displaying RNA-Seq reads from my own experiments along with RNA-Seq reads from previously published experiments from other groups.

My sequencing runs are within 30% of each other with respect to the total number of reads. Nevertheless, some of the samples I have analyzed with Bowtie/Tophat/Cufflinks from other groups have significantly more or less reads.

I usually use the Integrated Genomics Viewer with the COUNT feature to display tracks showing the quantity of reads mapping to a particular ORF. Nevertheless, with significantly more reads in some samples, one gets the false impression that the same gene in such samples is expressed at much higher levels. This happens solely due to a significantly higher sequencing depth. When the reads from such samples are adjusted for millions of mapped reads, then it is clear that the gene in the RNA-Seq sample with many more reads is actually expressed at a lower level than in my sample (lower FPKM values).

I was wondering if anybody has developed a way to scale reads, aka to scale track heights precisely in order to graph RNA-Seq tracks proportionately to their depth of sequencing?

Otherwise, the point I am trying to make looks false to a reader if I want to graph genome tracks with ORFs. I would have to forego that and switch to bar graphs showing gene expression FPKMs.

Any thoughts are welcome!

To scale by total reads, go to View -> Preferences -> Tracks and select Normalize Coverage Data. If you want some other normalization method (like upper-quartile), you would have to scale each track manually.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
      Yesterday, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses