Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think wet lab protocols are better hosted at OpenWetWare.

Adding a section of small "example code snippets" to each software in the SEQwiki would be great. Should be added to wanted features in the SEQwiki.

I think it is better to mainly concentrate on the SEQanswer Forum in the letter.

Comment

Originally posted by andreas.sjodin View Post
      I think wet lab protocols are better hosted at OpenWetWare.

Adding a section of small "example code snippets" to each software in the SEQwiki would be great. Should be added to wanted features in the SEQwiki.

I think it is better to mainly concentrate on the SEQanswer Forum in the letter.
      Agree that openwetware works better for wet lab protocols. And in fact there are some software walkthrough in SEQwiki already. Snippet would be great
      Marco

Comment

Originally posted by fkrueger View Post
        I also think that SEQanswers is an incredibly useful knowledgebase all around NGS and its bioinformatics applications. I especially love its instantaneous character and the (usually) extremely short reaction times of experts and developers in the fields to all sorts of questions, ranging from biological questions to discussion/usage of various bioinformatic tools to bug reports or feature requests. For many questions I have and had in the past, SEQanswers has become my first port of call to look for solutions or help.
        I think you speak for a lot of users. Please go ahead and write this in the letter if you agree :-D
        Homepage: Dan Bolser
        MetaBase the database of biological databases.

Comment

Originally posted by ulz_peter View Post
          However, I think we should separate the Forum from the Wiki for the letter, as the Wiki is getting published already, am I right?
          Yup, the point of the letter is to focus on the forum, and hopefully publish before the wiki (coming out in January).
          Homepage: Dan Bolser
          MetaBase the database of biological databases.

Comment

There is some (considerable?) overlap between the bioinformatics forum at SeqAnswers, and biostar.stackexchange.com. Perhaps we should acknowledge that, and comment that SeqAnswer is targeting a wider audience than just those analyzing data using bioinformatic tools?

Comment

Originally posted by dan View Post
              Yup, the point of the letter is to focus on the forum, and hopefully publish before the wiki (coming out in January).
              For the letter, I think it would be suitable for SCIENCE letter (<400 words) and NATURE correspondence. Both are meant to be short. So, let's write everything first and pick the most significant points to keep.
              Marco

Comment

Originally posted by flxlex View Post
                There is some (considerable?) overlap between the bioinformatics forum at SeqAnswers, and biostar.stackexchange.com. Perhaps we should acknowledge that, and comment that SeqAnswer is targeting a wider audience than just those analyzing data using bioinformatic tools?

Sure it may seems to be. I think both SEQ and Biostar are great, and we should definitely acknowledge Biostar in the letter. However, one particular strong point in SEQ Bioinformatics Section is the freedom granted to users to announce their tools, which fostered much discussion beyond question-and-answer style in Biostar. IMO, Biostar does a better job in Q&A. So, both sites serve different purposes.
                Marco

Comment

I think this a good selling point. The SeqAnswers has a wide community of both wet-lab and computer biologists.

Comment

Originally posted by marcowanger View Post
                    Sure it may seems to be. I think both SEQ and Biostar are great, and we should definitely acknowledge Biostar in the letter. However, one particular strong point in SEQ Bioinformatics Section is the freedom granted to users to announce their tools, which fostered much discussion beyond question-and-answer style in Biostar. IMO, Biostar does a better job in Q&A. So, both sites serve different purposes.
                    I tried to add something to the letter along these lines.

Comment

I tried to add something to the letter along these lines.
                      Thanks flxlex
                      Marco

Comment

One caution for Nature Correspondence:

A Correspondence is usually signed by no more than three authors; this is because Correspondence is a forum for readers' reactions, not for statements by organizations or groups of individuals.
                        Marco

Comment

Then I think we need to skip the Nature Correspondence alternative

Comment

Originally posted by andreas.sjodin View Post
                            Then I think we need to skip the Nature Correspondence alternative
                            Andreas, agree.
                            Marco

Comment

The letter should make an effort to address PI's in the audience to make them point their students and post docs to this forum, especially if they are newbies. It will help, if metrics like the average time for response and % of answered queries were included, to present the effectiveness of the forum to non-users.
                              Last edited by suryasaha; 10-06-2011, 06:13 AM.

Comment

I think funding is an important issue. Who funds SeqAnswers ? I think if I remember rightly there was some mention one of the admins was at Pac Bio. How is advertising handled and the site supported ?

I personally do not think there is a lot of bias due to advertising etc, but some who do not know the community may be more skeptical.

Also, what are the guidelines on commercial software plugs, and should this be mentioned ?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                                0 responses