No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• contigs to fully assembled genome

Hi all,
    I've done a bit of E. coli resequencing but I am new to the art of de novo and could use some input on what strategies would give me a fully contiguous genome (and at what cost).

Trying to assemble a 5.2Mb bacteria (estimated from pulsed field) with 220bp SE MiSeq filtered reads (Q>=25) @ ~150x coverage. Velvet Optimiser tells me:

k=147
    numContigs = 161
    n50 = 81.6kb
    longest contig = 279kb
    num contigs > 1kb = 107
    total bases in contigs = 5.1Mb (~98.9% covered)

I don't necessarily need a fully contiguous genome but what would it take? According to what I've read, a mate-paired run could help but it seems that I am at a point of diminishing returns.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I'd be interested why you chose 220bp SE over 150x2 PE.

Mate-pair libraries will likely drive up the continuity of your sequence -- you'll be able to use a scaffolder (such as SSPACE) to drive contigs into scaffolds -- though in many cases there will be gaps between contigs (and some of those gaps will be wrong and just cases where the two contigs overlap but by so little the scaffolder can't recognize it).

Another option would be Pacific Biosciences long reads. You'll need to use PacBioToCA or similar to merge them with your Illumina data, but these also can help. A number of cores or service providers offer this.

Comment

User error is the reason why 2x150 PE reads weren't used

Comment

What is the purpose of your sequencing project? Are you sure a mapping or reference guided assembly wouldn't suffice?

Comment

Get 4 SMRT cells of PacBio Continuous Long Reads. That will give you about 70-80X coverage, and will bring your contigs to around 50, your max contig length to close to 1MB, N50 around 200K.

Should cost you less than 3000, including library prep, etc...i think

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses