SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BWA Reports High Mapping Quality for Poorly Mapped Pairs mdjones66 Bioinformatics 1 01-16-2012 09:29 PM
Galaxy: filtering for unique/reliable alignments onson001 Bioinformatics 1 10-20-2011 05:47 PM
Help with Bowtie, only unique alignments khb General 1 12-16-2010 01:35 AM
More Unique ELAND Alignments Than Reads? seq7 Bioinformatics 2 10-06-2010 08:16 AM
Regarding Unique reads, Unique alignments sridharacharya RNA Sequencing 2 09-20-2010 06:39 AM

Old 09-05-2011, 03:19 AM   #1
moritzhess

Default BWA:high amount of unique alignments despite high mismatch tolerance

Hi, I am a little puzzled by my data. I aligned 100bp Illumina 3' tags to a reference transcriptome generated from 454 Data using BWA. The Reference has been created using NEwbler, so the reference is organized in groups that contain potetial splice variants originating from one locus . In order to find the best alignment parameters I varied the mismatch parameter (out of curiousity) up to "90" and regarded a hit as unique if all its potential targets would be in one group. I would have expected that the unique alignment ratio would rapidly fall when allowing for a high number of mismatches but this is not observable. Instead the alignment ratio increses slightly and tends to reach a plateau. Has anybody a clue why this happens or am I missing something ?
I attached the change in alignment frequency relative to mismatches as a diagram.
Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: png alignment.png (47.1 KB, 28 views)
moritzhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:30 AM   #2
nilshomer
Nils Homer

If BWA finds a hit for a read with N edits, it will search up to N+1 edits, even if your limit is M (N+1 << M). For example N=2, M=90, it will only search up to 3 mismatches. Of course, this is unless you specify "-N" for the non-iterative mode, which has my favorite command line comment: "slooow".
nilshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
moritzhess

@nilshomer:

Thank's! I have to try that option! (just how to see how fast slooow is). But now the diagrams make more sense.
moritzhess is offline   Reply With Quote