No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Application of paired end short read library to identify promoter region

Hi all,

I just got to know about the paired-end short reads sequencing. Can someone help me clarify if i have understood it correctly?

From what i understand, in one sheared genomic fragment, (eg 5'AdaptorTTTTTTT..........CCCCCCC3' and 5' adaptor GGGGGG.........AAAAAAA), only 35bp can be read from both ends.

Does that includes the adaptor sequence? i.e (5'Adaptor sequence +TTTT...til it makes up to 35bp) and 5'AdaptorGGGGG.. for complementary sequence read.

Thus based on these short fragments they are aligned and there may be unknown sequences between the two adaptors.

Suppose if i want find a promoter region of a GOI, what I can do is to BLAST my GOI and find an adaptor sequence that is in my GOI region and another outside of the gene in the 5'UTR?

From there I design primers to amplify the region I want (eg 5'TTTTTT and 5'GGGGGG if I take the above mentioned gene sequence as an example?)

Please correct me if i have misuderstood the technology. Thanks heaps.

Hi Moondust,

The adapters are not sequenced, only the DNA between them is. If you are only interested in a particular genomic region then yes you can design primers and amplify by PCR, this PCR product can then be used as input for library generation and sequencing instead of DNA however you would need to be targetting a large region or many regions or indexing your samples to make it economical to use the next-gen technologies.

Elaine

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses