SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Ion Torrent

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ion Torrent Sequencing qnc General 6 06-19-2014 11:57 PM
Ion Torrent Protocol? PersianExcurzion Ion Torrent 25 02-15-2012 07:39 PM
Ion Torrent, how much to run? brianlamx Ion Torrent 18 08-31-2011 02:12 PM
ion torrent herrroaa Introductions 5 07-25-2011 05:36 AM
Ion Torrent through the roof... james hadfield Ion Torrent 14 03-21-2011 09:34 AM

Old 02-20-2012, 12:42 AM   #81
BBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
I don't see how the amount of signal would be less with a single layer chip of the same size?
All I/O of the current design is pushed to the periphery. There are only so many pins to feed signal/power/clock/etc in/out. There are ways to work around that particular problem but they cost money, yield, and complexity. Perhaps a parallel with current CMOS image sensors would be illustrative. The circuitry of an image sensor is very similar, as is the pixel size. At 3-5um pitch all the action is on the front side and the signal must be fed out on the periphery. The highest pixel count 35mm sensor on the market nowadays is from Nikon, 36 MPx. The need to get this much data off the chip is limiting the frame rate of the sensor to 4fps. That is about 150 Mbs, in line with what you get when streaming HD 1080p video at 60fps. In order to accurately acquire the base incorporation signal Ion is probably sampling in the 10s of Hz range. With a 10 MPx sensor they would need to be getting data off chip at the same rate as the Nikon D800. Double that via die stacking and you quickly get into serious numbers territory. Of course, I am pulling all this out of my behind, as I have absolutely no real information on what they are doing, I am just guessing.
BBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #82
Geneus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBoy View Post
Of course, I am pulling all this out of my behind, as I have absolutely no real information on what they are doing, I am just guessing.

Your honesty gives you credibility, IMO.
Geneus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #83
Elcannibal

The ccd analogy to commercial cameras is not perfect. First, there ae tons of research grade cameras out there that have very unique speed sensors. Chemically etched ccd's and ultra high speed sensors using only ram transfer mode. The biggest difference here is that a digital sensor looking for an electron change has almost no depth and can really transfer fast. Most CCD sensors have to collect RGB AND also have to collect in linearity (8-10-12-16 bit sensors). Here, the only requirement is a threshold signal, a true digital transfer, sensitivity and linearity are probably completely removed for speed. If a movie image had only a black and white digital display it would be screaming fast resolution, at the expense of shades of grey...
Elcannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #84
epistatic

"For the second half of 2012, we continue to expect solid growth in our Ion Torrent platform, as we begin shipping Ion Proton Sequencers in September"

Any date set for release? Very interested in data quality and yield.
epistatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #85
ymc

Quote:
Originally Posted by epistatic View Post
"For the second half of 2012, we continue to expect solid growth in our Ion Torrent platform, as we begin shipping Ion Proton Sequencers in September"

Any date set for release? Very interested in data quality and yield.
http://www.genomeweb.com/sequencing/...d-launch-nears

well, it is only good for exome for the sept one if it comes out. why not get MiSeq which can do the same but with better accuracy and proven platform.

wake me up when they come out with the one that can do whole genome 30x
ymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #86
asaleh

can anyone link run data.

I figure that R&D will need time to improve specs even after launch, but I would still like to look at a run.

Last edited by asaleh; 10-02-2012 at 01:49 PM.
asaleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:54 AM   #87
belfield

Default Single cell sequencing

Can anyone tell me if the Ion Torrent system will be suitable for single cell whole genome sequencing? If not what system would be the best for such an experiment?

Thx
belfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #88
steinmann

Doing single cell genome sequencing is more about the library prep than the sequencer you use. In principle the Proton should do the job just as wells as the HiSeq. The more important question you should ask yourself is whether doing single cell genome sequencing is a good idea in the first place and what we learned from those two ridiculous cell papers.
steinmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:50 AM   #89
genseq

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBoy View Post
All I/O of the current design is pushed to the periphery. There are only so many pins to feed signal/power/clock/etc in/out. There are ways to work around that particular problem but they cost money, yield, and complexity. Perhaps a parallel with current CMOS image sensors would be illustrative. The circuitry of an image sensor is very similar, as is the pixel size. At 3-5um pitch all the action is on the front side and the signal must be fed out on the periphery. The highest pixel count 35mm sensor on the market nowadays is from Nikon, 36 MPx. The need to get this much data off the chip is limiting the frame rate of the sensor to 4fps. That is about 150 Mbs, in line with what you get when streaming HD 1080p video at 60fps. In order to accurately acquire the base incorporation signal Ion is probably sampling in the 10s of Hz range. With a 10 MPx sensor they would need to be getting data off chip at the same rate as the Nikon D800. Double that via die stacking and you quickly get into serious numbers territory. Of course, I am pulling all this out of my behind, as I have absolutely no real information on what they are doing, I am just guessing.
About Ion 314:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Chip Washion Station-1.pdf (4.69 MB, 76 views)
genseq is offline   Reply With Quote