Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TEDxWellington Talk -- Live Sequencing via Nanopore

I gave a talk on nanopore sequencing at the TEDxWellington 2016 conference this year, and the talk has now been edited and uploaded to youtube:

http://gringene.orgRead about TEDxWellington 2016 which got featured TEDx Innovations blog on ted.com: http://tedxwellington.com/blog/2016/03/14/tedxwellingt...

Although I haven't explicitly said it in the talk, this is a live demonstration of DNA sequencing, and possibly the first such demonstration outside ones done by ONT. I spend the first half of the talk stalling for time while the initial QC finished, and then a bit of time after data analysis (i.e. a BLAST search) discussing where we could be heading.

To give a bit of an idea of the challenges involved in doing this, all my equipment for sequencing (excluding laptop) was brought to the venue the day before (for the dress rehearsal) in a 30cm polystyrene cube.

On arrival at the venue, I stored the ONT reagents in a freezer in the nearby kitchenette, and prepared the flow cell about half an hour before my talk. In my lab I had prepared two tubes with pre-mixed reagents (one with library + water + running buffer; one with fuel mix), so I was able to use a fine-nozzle pasteur pipette to do the final mixing and loading onto the flow cell.

I had a slightly flakey USB connection on the MinION, so couldn't start the run off-stage (it was very sensitive to bumping). Despite starting the run during the video prior to my talk, I still had a bit less run time than the 5 minutes I had planned for, so had to tweak my presentation a bit to fit the end of the QC step into my talk.

The sequencing run was carried out using a laptop I had purchased for $900 NZD and set up a couple of weeks prior to the conference. Sequencing was done from battery power only, using the WiFi connection because the wired connection was being used for conference live streaming -- this might be the reason why called sequences took a little longer than a couple of minutes to download onto the laptop. The dress rehearsal the day before was the first time I'd carried out a sequencing run on that particular laptop, and made me aware that the screen resolution was less than the recommended minimum requirements from ONT.

Despite everything that happened, I don't think any of the audience were aware that I had any problems with my run (apart from needing to use my dress-rehearsal backup sequences), which aligns very nicely with the themes of trust and secrecy for this year's conference.

For those interested in looking at the actual reads from that run, I've put the "pass" reads into a dropbox folder:

Great talk. Next time you should try out the open source basecallers like nanocall and deepnano to get rid of the internet connection altogether!

Comment

I'd love to. They weren't available at the time of the conference, so all I could do locally was convert the signal into sound.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses