SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Vendor Forum

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NextSeq 500 and HiSeq X Ten Services Coming Soon to Genohub.com Genohub Vendor Forum 11 04-22-2014 08:46 AM
$1,000 Exomes|$6,500 Genomes from EdgeBio EdgeBio Vendor Forum 1 10-18-2012 12:54 PM
MiSeq 500 cycle kits available yet? Bucky Illumina/Solexa 6 08-14-2012 12:11 PM
help! samtools gave me more than 500,000 snps slowsmile Bioinformatics 1 12-15-2011 08:24 AM
500 errors on the wiki... dan Wiki Discussion 3 08-14-2011 07:35 AM

Old 11-24-2016, 10:53 AM   #101
Brian Bushnell
Super Moderator

If the cost is reasonably similar, I'd go with HiSeq 2000. But perhaps you can get a sample of NextSeq data for your project, on a library you already ran on the HiSeq, to compare without committing yourself?
Brian Bushnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:45 PM   #102
Michal2213

Default NextSeq suitable for allele-specific analysis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
If the cost is reasonably similar, I'd go with HiSeq 2000. But perhaps you can get a sample of NextSeq data for your project, on a library you already ran on the HiSeq, to compare without committing yourself?
Thank you for reply! I would do the same but with NextSeq we are getting data within a week as we have direct access and with HiSeq2000 in the sequencing core one need to wait in many cases more than a month. I guess we will need to go for sequencing the same library on both libraries as you suggested as well.
Michal2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:57 AM   #103
dsobral

Just to add our 2 cents.

We have a MiSeq running since 2013, and after some hickups we're now stable with it and reasonably happy.

We just recently installed a NextSeq500 and our first tests are not great. Q30 is >80%, but there are many low quality bases (constantly Q=14 "/"), and the worst part is that instead of being towards the end, they seem a bit randomly distributed. When comparing PhiX in a 2x150bp NextSeq with a 2x250bp MiSeq, after alignment I see a 0.2-0.3% error rate with MiSeq and 0.9-1% error rate with NextSeq (1M sampled reads). In the "randomly" distributed Q=14 bases I seem to notice more A to T transitions, but I didn't have time to gather more systematic statistics... If I do quality trim on the MiSeq I can easily get higher quality data, with the NextSeq since its randomly distributed is harder...

We've complained to the Illumina people, let's see what they say...
dsobral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:25 AM   #104
Brian Bushnell
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobral View Post
We've complained to the Illumina people, let's see what they say...
I don't believe that Illumina officially admits that NextSeq is lower quality than HiSeq 2500 or MiSeq. Error rate is not part of the platform specification, just quality scores.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:41 PM   #105
alexhaj

Good work Brian! I am skeptical about your claim that NextSeq has less crossover than HiSeq or Miseq however. Would you please provide some data to back this up. And if that is the case maybe it's simply because demultiplexing is being done by CASAVA v2 on NextSeq and CASAVA v1 on HiSeq and Miseq. What if you did demultiplexing yourself, taking into account Quality scores (which I assume is not typically done).
alexhaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:39 PM   #106
Brian Bushnell
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhaj View Post
Good work Brian! I am skeptical about your claim that NextSeq has less crossover than HiSeq or Miseq however.
We did fairly extensive analysis on this, and the results were never strongly reproducible from one run to the next on a given platform, but this one result (NextSeq outperforming HiSeq/MiSeq in crosstalk) was very consistent. Bearing in mind that we only had a single NextSeq machine at the time.

Quote:
Would you please provide some data to back this up.
I may try to dig it up if I have some time; there is no comprehensive single report with all of it so it would be a lot of work.

Quote:
And if that is the case maybe it's simply because demultiplexing is being done by CASAVA v2 on NextSeq and CASAVA v1 on HiSeq and Miseq. What if you did demultiplexing yourself, taking into account Quality scores (which I assume is not typically done).
I did do the demultiplexing manually, which is why (for example) mergebarcodes.sh and filterbarcodes.sh are in the BBTools package; I wrote them just for this experiment Even aggressive filtering on barcode quality was unable to substantially impact the relative differences between the platforms.