|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Web Software Developer||eandrade||Academic/Non-Profit Jobs||0||08-21-2014 07:12 AM|
|PubMed: VARIANT: Command Line, Web service and Web interface for fast and accurate fu||Newsbot!||Literature Watch||0||12-13-2012 11:40 PM|
|Web Developer||eandrade||Academic/Non-Profit Jobs||0||06-09-2011 10:34 AM|
|09-03-2014, 11:43 AM||#1|
Location: Downtown Toronto
Join Date: Nov 2010
Position: Web Developer
Site: MaRS Centre, Toronto
Department: Informatics and Biocomputing
Reports To: Director of Informatics and Biocomputing
Salary: Commensurate with level of experience
Hours: 35 Hrs/week
Status: Permanent, Full-time
This position will assist a small, dedicated, and distributed team in maintaining and extending an existing Perl-based web application and a Java-based data warehousing solution housing biological data serving a global community of researchers.
The responsibilities include:
- Develop pleasing and useful user interfaces to a complex set of biological data using modern front end techniques.
- Triage and address bug reports and feature requests for an existing Perl-based web application;
- Extend an existing data warehouse and mining platform with new data types and oversee scheduled builds of the warehouse.
- Make recommendations on new technologies and approaches to improve the usability of the website.
- Develop new types of biological displays for genomic data.
- Liaise with distributed team members to resolve data integration, distribution, and visualization issues.
- Provide high quality documentation and reports throughout the course of employment.
- Work collaboratively with members of the OICR genome, bioinformatics and medicinal chemistry platform to identify and solve other data management and visualization issues.
- At minimum, completion of a bachelorís degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics or recognized equivalent required
- At minimum over 1 year up to and including 2 years practical and related experience and/or 1 year on-the-job training required
- Fluency in the Perl programming language; familiarity with Java beneficial;
- Knowledge of software development best practices including the effective use of distributed source code management;
- UI/UX experience with interactive web sites;
- Working knowledge of modern molecular biology, although not specifically required, would be beneficial
OICR is an innovative cancer research institute located in the MaRS Centre in the Discovery District in downtown Toronto. OICR is addressing significant challenges in cancer research with multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional teams. New discoveries to prevent, detect and treat cancer will be moved from the bench to practical applications in patients. The OICR team is growing quickly. We are innovative, dedicated professionals who bring expertise to each of our roles. We are looking for individuals interested in being part of a culture of excellence that will result in Ontario being recognized internationally as a leading jurisdiction for cancer research.
Launched in December 2005, OICR is an independent institute funded by the Government of Ontario through the Ministry of Research and Innovation.
For more information about OICR, please visit the website at www.oicr.on.ca.
POSTED DATE: August 20, 2014
CLOSING DATE: Posted until filled
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates can apply here: https://www.recruitingsite.com/csbsi...bNumber=736919
OICR has a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer.
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research thanks all applicants. However, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Resume Format: If you elect to apply, you will need a text or HTML version of your resume so that you can cut and paste it into the application box provided. Before you submit the completed application, you will be asked to attach one or two files to your application. Please attach your resume as a .doc file.