No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samtools sort vs Picard Sortsam

Hi all,

Which is a better pick for sorting large SAM files in terms of memory requirement and run time: sortSam from Picard or Samtools sort function. Could you please direct me to the thread if it is already discussed and i missed it.

Thank you,

Rahul

I want to know SortSam vs samtools sort, too.

I think MarkDuplicates is better than rmdup because the former can handle duplicates across break points.

Comment

Why don't you just try?

Comment

Originally posted by sklages View Post
        Why don't you just try?
        Because they give the same results after I try. I think there might be differences in edge cases, for example, when it is piped from bwa-mem. But I don't know what the edge cases are.

Comment

So if you get the same results in terms of mem and runtime for huge files, just decide for the one you're more familiar with. Edge cases are usually very specific, so if you don't encounter any problems with your regular files, no need to worry :-)

Comment

I think Picard's sortSam puts a line in the header indicating that the file is sorted, which samtools does not. But for lots of applications this doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by swbarnes2 View Post
              I think Picard's sortSam puts a line in the header indicating that the file is sorted, which samtools does not. But for lots of applications this doesn't matter.
              Are you sure about that? The header is grabbed from the first tmp file written.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses