Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [bedtools][fastaFrombed] could not stat file

I have a fasta file rn4.fa with the rat genome and also a fai file rn4.fa.fai which I generated with samtools faidx. I want to extract fasta from bed like this (below), but I get an error message "could not stat file".

Code:
    fastaFromBed -name -fi ../rn4/rn4.fa -bed foo.bed -fo bar.fa
    could not stat file../rn4/rn4.fa
    I am using fastaFromBed Version: v2.16.1

I am pretty much stuck here - anything I can do to get fastaFromBed working?

Thanks!

Are you using the command correctly?
    Code:
    getFastaFromBed OR bedtools getfasta
    Manual here: http://bedtools.readthedocs.org/en/l.../getfasta.html

Another thing is to verify that the file in question is actually present at the relative path (../rn4/rn4.fa).
    Last edited by GenoMax; 06-26-2013, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
      Are you using the command correctly?
      Code:
      getFastaFromBed OR bedtools getfasta
      Manual here: http://bedtools.readthedocs.org/en/l.../getfasta.html

Another thing is to verify that the file in question is actually present at the relative path (../rn4/rn4.fa).
      These three commands all give me exactly the same error message (as described above):

Code:
      fastaFromBed -name -fi ../rn4/rn4.fa -bed foo.bed -fo bar.fa
      getFastaFromBed -name -fi ../rn4/rn4.fa -bed foo.bed -fo bar.fa
      bedtools getfasta -name -fi ../rn4/rn4.fa -bed foo.bed -fo bar.fa
      Yes, the file definitely exists at the relative path:

Code:
      user@machine-VirtualBox:~/clover$ file ../rn4/rn4.fa
      ../rn4/rn4.fa: ASCII text
      One thing I note is that the error message, as descibed in my original post, is:
      Code:
      could not stat file../rn4/rn4.fa
      There is no space between the string "could not stat file" and the path/file - could this mean something?
      Last edited by Azazel; 06-26-2013, 06:56 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

I wonder if the error is related to virtual server (looking at your system prompt). Are those file paths local to the VM? What OS are you running in the VM?

Comment

I wonder if the error is related to virtual server (looking at your system prompt). Are those file paths local to the VM? What OS are you running in the VM?
          I am running Xubuntu inside Virtual Box, with Windows 7 as host. Everything is inside VB/Xubuntu, so I don't see how this could affect antyhing.

"file paths local to the VM": sorry, I don not understand what you mean by this at all. The file paths are relative to root (/), inside Xubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel View Post
            I am running Xubuntu inside Virtual Box, with Windows 7 as host. Everything is inside VB/Xubuntu, so I don't see how this could affect antyhing.

"file paths local to the VM": sorry, I don not understand what you mean by this at all. The file paths are relative to root (/), inside Xubuntu.
            Since there does not seem to be a logical explanation to what you are seeing I was merely expressing a possibility that this error may be somehow related to the fact that you are running this in a VM.

"file paths" referred to a possibility that your local PC file system may be auto-mounted and visible in your VM.

Comment

Since there does not seem to be a logical explanation to what you are seeing I was merely expressing a possibility that this error may be somehow related to the fact that you are running this in a VM.

"file paths" referred to a possibility that your local PC file system may be auto-mounted and visible in your VM.
              Now I understand. No, I don't think this is the reason because I am not mounting anything external, and the file is definitely there when I use the "file" command, open it in an editor etc.

The same error "could not stat" also appears when the rn4.fa and rn4.fa.fai files are in the very same directory from where the command is run, not using relative pathnames.

"there does not seem to be a logical explanation": one logical, obvious explanation is that there could be a bug in bedtools v2.16.1.

Has anyone who uses bedtools v2.16.1 encountered the "could not stat file" error message? Do you know how to fix this? Any help specific to this problem would be much appreciated - thanks!

Comment

Current version of bedtools is 2.17.0. If that still does not work then consider contacting Aaron Quinlan, the developer of Bedtools.

One more thing. Have you allocated enough RAM to the VM and are you using 64-bit Xubuntu in the VM?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
                  Yesterday, 07:01 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses