Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

I just wanted to add a +1 for some of the issues mentioned in this thread with Cufflinks 2. My data are from an Illumina 78bp paired-end protocol, with 7 and 5 replicates in two conditions.

I was previously using 1.3, with a command like:

cuffdiff -c 0 -p 4 -u -b <GENOME_FILE> -o <OUT_DIR> -L <LABELS> -M <MASK FILE> --library-type fr-unstranded merged.gtf <CONDITION 1 CUFFLINKS OUTPUTS> <CONDITION 2 CUFFLINKS OUTPUTS>

I was already using -c 0, since I have genes that are on/off between conditions and were being excluded due to low read counts in the 'off'. This produced results that seemed plausible, but I like the sound of the quoted improvements in 2.0- particularly the improved reporting of FPKMs.

Cuffdiff 2.0 with the same options produced the extreme numbers of NOTESTs described above. After reading this thread I first set --min-outlier-p to 0, which did not solve the problem. Then I removed -b (--frag-bias-correct), which produces results closer to (though even more conservative) than 1.3.

My conclusion: this beta not yet ready for widespread use.

Comment

Originally posted by pinin4fjords View Post
      Hi all,

I just wanted to add a +1 for some of the issues mentioned in this thread with Cufflinks 2. My data are from an Illumina 78bp paired-end protocol, with 7 and 5 replicates in two conditions.

I was previously using 1.3, with a command like:

cuffdiff -c 0 -p 4 -u -b <GENOME_FILE> -o <OUT_DIR> -L <LABELS> -M <MASK FILE> --library-type fr-unstranded merged.gtf <CONDITION 1 CUFFLINKS OUTPUTS> <CONDITION 2 CUFFLINKS OUTPUTS>

I was already using -c 0, since I have genes that are on/off between conditions and were being excluded due to low read counts in the 'off'. This produced results that seemed plausible, but I like the sound of the quoted improvements in 2.0- particularly the improved reporting of FPKMs.

Cuffdiff 2.0 with the same options produced the extreme numbers of NOTESTs described above. After reading this thread I first set --min-outlier-p to 0, which did not solve the problem. Then I removed -b (--frag-bias-correct), which produces results closer to (though even more conservative) than 1.3.

My conclusion: this beta not yet ready for widespread use.
      We are testing a pre-release that fixes the issues reported so far, at least in our hands. Can you try:

(No mac build or source yet - we were only able to reproduce this with our pre-compiled linux binary anyways)

Comment

Originally posted by Cole Trapnell View Post
        We are testing a pre-release that fixes the issues reported so far, at least in our hands. Can you try:

(No mac build or source yet - we were only able to reproduce this with our pre-compiled linux binary anyways)
        Okay, will do. Do you still recommend the min-outlier-p option? Have corrections been made to Cuffdiff only, or is it necessary to re-run the whole Cufflinks sequence?

Comment

I've exactly the same problem with the -b param.

Comment

Cole, can you please take a look at this boxplot of one of the genes. I don't think the error bars are due to variances in my samples.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hmm, we see that sometimes when one or more of the libraries have extremely low sequencing yield, for example. Can you show me a csDendro plot with replicates=T? It's important to verify that the replicates for each sample really segregate together. It might also be helpful to see a dispersion plot for each condition. If you're worried about revealing sample names you can email it to [email protected].

Comment

Hi Cole,
                I used the cuffdiff version you posted, and now it works.
                I repeated the same analysis with the new version and the 1.3 (cuffdiff)
                I got 43 genes called significant with cuffdiff2 and 940 with cuffdiff1.3
                I have just one replicate for each conditions.
                Do you think it's normal?
                here my command line:

cuffdiff -b genome.fa -p 10 -u genes.gtf

any suggestions?
                thank you very much!
                Mat

Comment

I also confirm that the numbers produced using the new version at #32 look more sensible (using -b and min-outlier-p).

Comment

Originally posted by gesdy View Post
                    Hi Cole,
                    I used the cuffdiff version you posted, and now it works.
                    I repeated the same analysis with the new version and the 1.3 (cuffdiff)
                    I got 43 genes called significant with cuffdiff2 and 940 with cuffdiff1.3
                    I have just one replicate for each conditions.
                    Do you think it's normal?
                    here my command line:

cuffdiff -b genome.fa -p 10 -u genes.gtf

any suggestions?
                    thank you very much!
                    Mat
                    Hi Mat,

That sounds fair to me - Cuffdiff 2 is far more conservative at the gene level than was 1.3 (as detailed on the site), and with a single replicate per sample, even more so. This isn't too surprising to me.

Comment

Originally posted by pinin4fjords View Post
                      I also confirm that the numbers produced using the new version at #32 look more sensible (using -b and min-outlier-p).
                      That's excellent - thanks to you and others in this thread for the helpful feedback. The official release of 2.0.1 is imminent.

Comment

Hi,

I'm a novice in RNA-seq analysis, and I have a question regarding Cuffdiff...

We generated our RNA-seq data using the Illumina HiSeq2000, and have been following the data analysis protocol for Tophat, Cufflinks, ect. from Nature Protocols. We are currently using Tophat v1.4.1 and Cufflinks v1.3.0. Our Cuffdiff output shows 10371 of 27080 genes are NOTEST. In an effect to decrease this value, can we re-run our data through the newest version of Cuffdiff without first re-running it through the newest version of Cufflinks? Or is something else we can change to minimize the number of NOTEST genes? (such as using -c 0 ?)

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Cole Trapnell View Post
                          That's excellent - thanks to you and others in this thread for the helpful feedback. The official release of 2.0.1 is imminent.
                          Hi Cole,

Thanks for all the notes. However, I'm getting the same issue here. I have 46,000 reads that test, and 40,000 that have NOTEST. I am using the -b option, but not -c 0, and not the multi-read correct or frag bias. I'm using Cufflinks 2.0.1 and Tophat 1.4. Was the shortcoming in regards to -b addressed in the newest Cufflinks?

Comment

Hello,
                            I used the latest version cufflinks 2.0.2, comparing with my previous results from 1.3.0, the results are unbelievable:
                            Gene level: I got 340 significant genes with cuffdiff2 and 2692 with cuffdiff1.3;
                            Isoform level: I got 272 significant isoforms with cuffdiff2 and 11380 with cuffdiff1.3;
                            My samples are single replicate.
                            Any solutions to judge the results? Or which version should I use for later analysis?
                            Thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by MeixiaZhao View Post
                              Hello,
                              I used the latest version cufflinks 2.0.2, comparing with my previous results from 1.3.0, the results are unbelievable:
                              Gene level: I got 340 significant genes with cuffdiff2 and 2692 with cuffdiff1.3;
                              Isoform level: I got 272 significant isoforms with cuffdiff2 and 11380 with cuffdiff1.3;
                              My samples are single replicate.
                              Any solutions to judge the results? Or which version should I use for later analysis?
                              Thanks a lot!
                              I've spoken to Cole about this extensively, and he says the new version is just much more accurate. It is an absolute shock going from one to the other.

Comment

Hi all; I too, have some similar problems - I'm running the newest cuffdiff (2.0.2) on a two-sample, two-replicates illumina run using

cuffdiff --mask-file xxx.gtf -upper-quartile-norm

genes.diff and isoforms.diff are fine (although not many are called DE), but splicing.diff and promoters.diff only have NOTEST, LOWDATA or FAIL.

Any suggestions? I've tried running with -c 1, but to no avail.

All the best,
                                Johannes Waage
                                Uni of. Copenhagen

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                                0 responses