Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very high RPKM values from Cufflink

I ran an RNA-seq experiment and used TopHat> cufflink It is a time series experiment when I looked at RPKM values in some of the transcripts the RPKM values goes upto 32765.04908; 2073.978485 . Is is reasonable? I also looked at Bam files there weresecrtainly very large number of reads. Any feedback/ suggestion please how to explain this high RPKM values?

Originally posted by honey View Post
    I ran an RNA-seq experiment and used TopHat> cufflink It is a time series experiment when I looked at RPKM values in some of the transcripts the RPKM values goes upto 32765.04908; 2073.978485 . Is is reasonable? I also looked at Bam files there weresecrtainly very large number of reads. Any feedback/ suggestion please how to explain this high RPKM values?
    I think that these values should be taken to the log(10).. this is not documented, but my suspicion.

log(10) values from cufflinks roughly equals FPKM values from cuffdiff..

Comment

very high RPKM values from 4.5 to sevreal thousands

Howver the problem which I have is that the RPKM are high apx. 5% are > 1000RPKM (like 3245, 4356 and so on) in the same sample. If I change to log 10 than then what will happen to values around zero. Is it a usual method to log transform RPKM value?
      Any feedback is welcome
      Thanks

Comment

Honey, I could be totally wrong here about the log(10) thing, but I don't think I am..

Can you look at the mappings for some of those transcripts where 'raw' FPMK is about 0-- do they have few reads mapped?

See:
        Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

Comment

High RPKM

Thanks I looked at the Bam files and can say that there are very few reads wherver it is 0 values of RPKM however where the values are very high those are the kind of hot spots there are large no of reads. Now the question is is this an artifact -High RPKM or very low RPKM how we rope up both extreme values?

Comment

honey, it might be a good idea to look a bit more in depth into that specific gene. You can certainly get high FPKMs mapping to genes like actin that make up a lot of the mRNA percentage of a cell. I had huge numbers of reads mapping to one region of a miRNA gene once that all turned out to be within a LINE and a SINE. For that gene at least, it was clear the repeat regions skewed the results.

Comment

Is your reference very short?

Comment

very large RPKM

It is human genome so it is not small.
                The egnes which have very high RPKM values are relavnt to biology of the tissue samples, but my problem is how to provide a scientific rational that our results are not nonspecific.
                Thanks for the input

Comment

Originally posted by peromhc View Post
                  I think that these values should be taken to the log(10).. this is not documented, but my suspicion.

log(10) values from cufflinks roughly equals FPKM values from cuffdiff..
                  That does not make sense to me. Unless it is an option in either Cufflinks or Cuffdiff, but I have never saw a log relationship between Cufflinks and Cuffdiff outputs.

Honey, how did you run Cufflinks? RABT mode or simple "quantification" mode? How long are the genes with super-high RPKM?

It seems to me that Cufflinks has a tendency to report super-high RPKM for very short transcripts (such as microRNA). I now routinely filter out the transcripts shorter than the expected fragment size (from the GTF annotation file). I think there is a good rationale to filter them out, because they can not be accurately captured by the RNA-Seq protocol....

In RABT mode, Cufflinks also reports a large number of short transcripts with crazy high values. A solution could be to re-quantify the discovered transcripts with something like BEDtools or HTSeq-count...

Comment

Are those genes very short?
                    As cufflinks will remove the fragment length from gene length in calculating FPKM, sometimes it will give this kind of results.

Comment

very high RPKM

Here are three examples with genomic coordinates

CGA - 87795222 to 87804824
                      KISS1 – 204159469- 204165619
                      TFP12- 93515745- 93520065

Should I then go back to count method?

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

High RPKM

Originally posted by Nicolas View Post
                        That does not make sense to me. Unless it is an option in either Cufflinks or Cuffdiff, but I have never saw a log relationship between Cufflinks and Cuffdiff outputs.

Honey, how did you run Cufflinks? RABT mode or simple "quantification" mode? How long are the genes with super-high RPKM?

It seems to me that Cufflinks has a tendency to report super-high RPKM for very short transcripts (such as microRNA). I now routinely filter out the transcripts shorter than the expected fragment size (from the GTF annotation file). I think there is a good rationale to filter them out, because they can not be accurately captured by the RNA-Seq protocol....

In RABT mode, Cufflinks also reports a large number of short transcripts with crazy high values. A solution could be to re-quantify the discovered transcripts with something like BEDtools or HTSeq-count...
                        I used simple quantification

So you mean probably count method is better?

Comment

These genes don't seem to be that short. There must be other reasons.
                          I suggest you try count method first. Cufflinks is just too complex to be understood.

Comment

This issue has been discussed elsewhere on this board. As Nicholas points out, RNA-Seq really isn't reliable for very short transcripts. The reason is that all the fragments that map to these transcripts come from the "tail" of the distribution of library fragment lengths. That is, fragments that map to microRNAs are much, much shorter than most fragments in the library - by design in the RNA-Seq protocol, which size selects away very short inserts. Thus, Cufflinks infers that even though relatively few fragments actually mapped to the microRNAs, there were probably TONS of individual microRNA molecules in the transcriptome before all of the various size selection parts of the protocol kicked in. Cufflinks accordingly increases the FPKM of these short transcripts to compensate for the bias against short fragments in the library.

This compensation was designed to improve accuracy for transcripts that are in the 500bp-1kb range - for longer transcripts, the "edge effects" due to library fragment size aren't much of an issue. However, I wouldn't trust FPKM values for transcripts shorter than your average fragment length. There's really just not enough data in most standard RNA-Seq libraries to say much about small RNA abundance.

I should also point out that other methods use this same bias correction technique (RSEM for example). As far as I'm aware, the "count-based" methods don't, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't. Most of those methods are strictly for differential analysis, where any edge effects are assumed to be affecting each condition the same way. That may or may not be the case in your data.

In any case, the quick answer to this problem is to simply remove or ignore transcripts shorter than around 300bp from your GTF. In a future version, we will be flagging these transcripts as too short for reliable quantification where appropriate.

Comment

Hi Cole, Thanks for your post. I keep reading your comments here which are useful for many including me. I asked a similar question, with a twist, here: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17992

Can you comment please. In short, it is about how to deal with larger(>300 bp) transcripts with high FPKMs.

Originally posted by Cole Trapnell View Post
                              This issue has been discussed elsewhere on this board. As Nicholas points out, RNA-Seq really isn't reliable for very short transcripts. The reason is that all the fragments that map to these transcripts come from the "tail" of the distribution of library fragment lengths. That is, fragments that map to microRNAs are much, much shorter than most fragments in the library - by design in the RNA-Seq protocol, which size selects away very short inserts. Thus, Cufflinks infers that even though relatively few fragments actually mapped to the microRNAs, there were probably TONS of individual microRNA molecules in the transcriptome before all of the various size selection parts of the protocol kicked in. Cufflinks accordingly increases the FPKM of these short transcripts to compensate for the bias against short fragments in the library.

This compensation was designed to improve accuracy for transcripts that are in the 500bp-1kb range - for longer transcripts, the "edge effects" due to library fragment size aren't much of an issue. However, I wouldn't trust FPKM values for transcripts shorter than your average fragment length. There's really just not enough data in most standard RNA-Seq libraries to say much about small RNA abundance.

I should also point out that other methods use this same bias correction technique (RSEM for example). As far as I'm aware, the "count-based" methods don't, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't. Most of those methods are strictly for differential analysis, where any edge effects are assumed to be affecting each condition the same way. That may or may not be the case in your data.

In any case, the quick answer to this problem is to simply remove or ignore transcripts shorter than around 300bp from your GTF. In a future version, we will be flagging these transcripts as too short for reliable quantification where appropriate.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses