Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PacBio RS quality score output definition (FASTQ)

I'm simulating reads that mimic PacBio's data (long reads, about 1k-20k bases). Other things are pretty well in order, but I'd like to know what kind of quality values there usually are and what their distribution and meaning is. I'd be very thankful if someone showed me to the right direction or explained at least some part of this!

- which characters are used? (as there seems to be many kinds of variations of FASTQ... I just can't seem to find anything about PacBio's FASTQ directly)
    - is there a bigger probability for an indel (or a substitution) if the quality score is bad?
    - how often do you generally see certain quality scores, where goes the line between "probably an error" and "most likely fine" ?
    - how likely is it to have a bad quality score if the read itself is errorless?

Thank you in advance!

PacBio produces reads that have different quality values for deletion, insertion, and substitution, so the read are in HDF5 rather than FASTQ.

There is a read simluator called alchemy that is packaged with blasr that simulates HDF5 in a large number of ways using an empirical error model.

Comment

You can find useful PacBio software here (including blasr mentioned by mchaisso): https://github.com/PacificBiosciences

Comment

Okay, I see... I have to use FASTQ for this, so unfortunately the HDF5 reads alone don't help that much. (PacBio really doesn't produce FASTQ directly?) Thank you, though, I'll definitely check the link anyway!

But okay, now I'd need to know what happens if the reads are converted to from HDF5 to FASTQ format afterwards, what will happen to which quality value or is there a standard for that? Seems like at least some information would be lost then? Or does FASTQ's quality string have enough information (compared to HDF5) that it's worth mimicking? (Does blasr use the quality string in FASTQ or only in the HDF5?) Plus the questions in my first post, still, if FASTQ has enough info.
        Last edited by vamiyn; 07-16-2013, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
          Yesterday, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses