No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PICARD reports only unmapped reads

Dear all,

I am new to the new gen seq and have a bit of a problem using PICARD.

Basically, I have Illumina paired-end sequencing that was aligned with BWA and converted to sorted and indexed bam file with samtools. I am trying to collect some summary statistics on the number of mapped and unmapped reads, by using the CollectAlignmentSummaryMetrics in PICARD. PICARD reports the correct number of reads, but 0 for any of the metrics for aligned reads, i.e. all reads are unmapped.

By looking at the sam file, I could see that a lot of the reads are mapped, e.g. bitwise flags of 147 and 99 for the pairs or 0x1+0x2+0x10+0x80 and 0x1+0x2+0x20+0x40, therefore no problems as far as I can see.
    Just cannot understand why PICARD reports that all reads are unmapped. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by saskak; 03-25-2011, 02:15 AM.

Managed to fix the issue to some extent.

The same files + PICARD run OK on my Linux box (i.e. correct N of mapped reads), but my Solaris + PICARD reports 0 mapped reads. It seems some sort of java problem + the solaris machine.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses