No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing the Trimmomatic

Hi All,

I've finally gotten around to making the Trimmomatic, a flexible read-trimming tool for Illumina NGS data available.

Instructions and download link are here. Any questions, requests etc, post 'em.

Since we still have issues getting clearance for including the illumina sequences (hopefully this will be resolved soon), the adapter trimming part won't be usable for now.

Enjoy and happy trimming.

I have recently gone through a bunch of these programs and I gotta say this one is THE best by far - I'm only sorry I didn't find it until now.

Awesome tool - thanks for making it available!

Comment

Originally posted by kga1978 View Post
      I have recently gone through a bunch of these programs and I gotta say this one is THE best by far - I'm only sorry I didn't find it until now.

Awesome tool - thanks for making it available!
      Which other tools did your try?

--
      Phillip

Comment

A bunch - some of them I can't remember as I uninstalled quickly. But I have tried cutadapt, far, btrim, SeqTrim, TagCleaner, prinseq, solexaQA - all nice tools but lacking in features and speed compared to this one (not sure why - but for one file, cutadapt took 3 hours, trimmomatic took 10 min - I almost thought it hadn't worked...).

Comment

Dear kg1978,

thanks for using Trimmomatic. We really did put effort in making it fully customizable, fast and memory efficient!

Comment

Keep up the good work - it really is a good tool and so much faster than the others I have tried (still not sure why - but hey, who cares .

Only thing I have been missing - an output log showing how many reads were trimmed, what adapter, etc. That would be really useful.

Comment

Originally posted by kga1978 View Post
              Keep up the good work - it really is a good tool and so much faster than the others I have tried (still not sure why - but hey, who cares .

Only thing I have been missing - an output log showing how many reads were trimmed, what adapter, etc. That would be really useful.
              Thanks for the complements, and glad trimmomatic is working well for you.

There is a trimlog (-trimlog <logfile>), but it currently only summarizes what happened to each read, not why. I agree an 'adapter tracking' log would also be useful.

Comment

A new version (0.2) is now available from the usual place

This version adds multi-threading, which makes it much much faster on multi-core machines, as well as correcting a bug in adapter detection code (which caused it to be overly-aggressive for around ~0.1% of the reads).

Comment

Trimmomatic software problem

I am not able to run trimmomatic on MAC. It gives the error 'Failed to load Main-class manifest attribute from trimmomatic-0.20.jar'.
                  Is there a way to open this on MAC?
                  Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by neethav View Post
                    I am not able to run trimmomatic on MAC. It gives the error 'Failed to load Main-class manifest attribute from trimmomatic-0.20.jar'.
                    Is there a way to open this on MAC?
                    Thanks!
                    I guess you've tried running it by double-clicking on the jar. Since trimmomatic doesn't have a GUI (yet), this won't work.

You need to run it from the terminal (Applications->Utilities->Terminal), using the command-line parameters as specified on the usadellab.org webpage.

Comment

Can someone help me understand the perimeters for ILLUMINACLIP.
                      I don't understand what the value for 'palindromeClipThreshold' or 'simpleClipThreshold' represent. In the example code they use values of 40 and 15, respectively but I have no idea what these numbers are doing. Also, does the value specified for 'palindromeClipThreshold' do anything in single end mode?

Thanks

ILLUMINACLIP:<fastaWithAdaptersEtc>:<seed mismatches>:<palindrome clip threshold>:<simple clip threshold>

fastaWithAdaptersEtc: specifies the path to a fasta file containing all the adapters, PCR sequences etc. The naming of the various sequences within this file determines how they are used. See below.

seedMismatches: specifies the maximum mismatch count which will still allow a full match to be performed

palindromeClipThreshold: specifies how accurate the match between the two 'adapter ligated' reads must be for PE palindrome read alignment.

simpleClipThreshold: specifies how accurate the match between any adapter etc. sequence must be against a read.
                      --------------
                      Ethan

Comment

Originally posted by ETHANol View Post
                        Can someone help me understand the perimeters for ILLUMINACLIP.
                        I don't understand what the value for 'palindromeClipThreshold' or 'simpleClipThreshold' represent. In the example code they use values of 40 and 15, respectively but I have no idea what these numbers are doing. Also, does the value specified for 'palindromeClipThreshold' do anything in single end mode?
                        Sorry about the confusion.

These values are (very roughly speaking) log-10 probabilities of getting a match at random. Each perfectly matching base scores just over 0.6, so 15 requires a perfect 25 base match. Each mismatching base reduces the score by the Q/10 value of that base. So it takes 5 or even 6 additional matching bases to overcome one high quality mismatch, but maybe only 1 or 2 additional bases if the mismatching base is low quality.

"Palindrome" mode is only used in paired mode, when appropriately named "prefix" sequences are provided, and since it does 'end to end' matching of the pairs, it can afford a higher threshold, as suggested.

Comment

Ok, thanks!!! But now I have another question. So with a score of 15 there has to be 25 bp of adapter sequence for anything to get trimmed.
                          --------------
                          Ethan

Comment

Originally posted by ETHANol View Post
                            Ok, thanks!!! But now I have another question. So with a score of 15 there has to be 25 bp of adapter sequence for anything to get trimmed.
                            Yep.

There's a trade-off:- you can set it lower, but then you will naturally be more likely to get something 'adapter-like' by random chance. I wouldn't recommend going below around 10 though.

Comment

Hi Tony thank you for trimmomatic.

A question of newie about the manual.

When using the paired End Mode (below is as it is in your example of the manual)

java -classpath <path to trimmomatic jar> org.usadellab.trimmomatic.TrimmomaticPE [-threads <threads>] [-phred33 | -phred64] [-trimlog <logFile>] <input 1> <input 2> <paired output 1> <unpaired output 1> <paired output 2> <unpaired output 2> <step 1> ...

The question is which information is reported in the outputs "unpaired output 1" and "unpaired output 2" I installed the tool and I trying to make a couple of things with it but the files I have in return from the outputs are empty. Sure I am doing something wrong
                              but i could earn some time if you clarify me this doubt.

Best
                              Carlos

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses