No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you like BIOinformatics then Perl.
    If you like bioINFORMATICS then C++.

It's a personal choice and obviously both have their place. Pointless argument.
    --------------
    Ethan

Comment

Originally posted by ETHANol View Post
      If you like BIOinformatics then Perl.
      If you like bioINFORMATICS then C++.

It's a personal choice and obviously both have their place. Pointless argument.
      However, BIOinformatics(as opposed to bioINFORMATICS) isn't an academic pursuit. More like a trade school endeavor. See reasons listed above.

Comment

Originally posted by rskr View Post
        However, BIOinformatics(as opposed to bioINFORMATICS) isn't an academic pursuit. More like a trade school endeavor. See reasons listed above.
        Someone better tell the NIH and Cell press. Because anyone using quick and dirty perl scripts to solve complex biological problems is not an academic. I never realized that I would have been better off getting my training at a trade school rather then UCSC, Cold Spring Harbor and MIT. Cool, I learn new stuff every day.

Note: I'm only responding here because it's kind of funny. The argument is itself is obviously pointless. We can talk about the advantages of C++ and Perl for bioinformatics, which could be informative to some.
        --------------
        Ethan

Comment

Someone better tell the NIH and Cell press. Because anyone using quick and dirty perl scripts to solve complex biological problems is not an academic. I never realized that I would have been better off getting my training at a trade school rather then UCSC, Cold Spring Harbor and MIT. Cool, I learn new stuff every day.

Note: I'm only responding here because it's kind of funny. The argument is itself is obviously pointless. We can talk about the advantages of C++ and Perl for bioinformatics, which could be informative to some.

And you have no point because all the good programs are written in C++, and your perl programs just call them. Academically speaking, quick and dirty perl programs usually aren't publishable. If you look at the programs that get published and actually cited.... C++(BLAST/Abyss/Velvet/Hmmer/ClustalW are all in C++)

As a utilitarian there is something beautiful about a script that uses these libraries, but really its nothing to write home about much less a paper about the source code. A trade skill like Cisco certification or something not an academic discipline.

Comment

Another way to think about it is Perl is the software equivalent of duct tape. Sure you can rig up all kinds of Novel devices by taping them together or fix broken stuff with it, but not something that gets taught in your mechanical engineering course. You learn that on the job.

Comment

Originally posted by rskr View Post
              Another way to think about it is Perl is the software equivalent of duct tape. Sure you can rig up all kinds of Novel devices by taping them together or fix broken stuff with it, but not something that gets taught in your mechanical engineering course. You learn that on the job.
              You want to make the perfect program. That's cool. I am glad there are people out there doing that. But some people are much more interested in biology and see computing as a tool. Higher level languages are very useful and save a lot of time. When you learn the intricacies of molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, immunology, developmental biology, cancer biology, etc., I'll say you have the right to come here and post about how people that use higher level languages are lazy and stupid. Until then.....

Most inane internet argument ever.
              --------------
              Ethan

Comment

Perl was the glue for the Human Genome Project. If you need speed then yes you go with a compiled language. Other than that scripting has proven its worth.

Comment

I'll say you have the right to come here and post about how people that use higher level languages are lazy and stupid. Until then.....

Most inane internet argument ever.
                  I use interpreted languages like Perl, they have their place, just not in academia as a teaching language.

Maybe you could teach people to program Perl on Macs, because the bioperl libraries aren't cross platform.

Then again why are you using the biolperl libraries for a class, have you seen the code in there? Maybe you could answer all the kids questions about why X Y or Z libraries wasn't fully implemented or breaks, and just tell them Perl programmers are the most wonderful people in the world, they were on the Human Genome Project.

Comment

Do what makes you happy as long as it works. The saying goes that a poor rat has only one hole. There are many folks in the bioinformatics community that have been very successful using only Perl with BioPerl and increasingly R and Bioconductor.

Comment

Originally posted by francois.sabot View Post
                      Try Linux ^^

Yes

You should try linux
                      http://watchfree.me/10/w.png

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                      0 responses