• Show
Clear All

• Ampure XP size selection problem

Click image for larger version

Name:	XP size test.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	307993Hello All,

I'm having a problem with size selection optimization using AMPure XP beads. Basically, I can't get any size selection regardless of volume added to my DNA. I've been using 1ug of 100 bp ladder in 28 uL H2O or Tris buffer and adding 0.7-1.2 volumes beads at .1x increments. The attached (ugly) gel image shows that there is really no size selection going on. Our protocol calls for a 6 minute incubation at RT but mine went a bit over. Still, I would expect to see some signs of size selection. Any ideas?

FYI, for the samples on the left, I used stock beads, while those on the right are 5X diluted in equal volumes of 40%PEG and 5M NaCl. The library prep protocol I use also has a size selection step that uses diluted beads in 1 part 5M NaCl, .6 parts 40% PEG and .4 parts H2O. At those concentrations, I DO get good size selection expected for each volume.
    Last edited by saw9; 01-03-2013, 01:19 PM.

Does your ladder already have a loading dye added to it or do you add it after the size selection?

Comment

added after size selection

Comment

Saw9,

I am just guessing, but it could be that a high concentration of DNA leads to the stronger than expected precipitation.
        I observed it my own tests with a ladder which was considerably more concentrated than advertised. I guess at high DNA concentrations the size selection fails.

Which paper/protocol suggests your replacement buffer ?

Comment

Have you tried titrating below 0.7X volume AMPure beads?

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I also wondered about DNA concentration. I haven't tried titrating below .7x yet, but considering the reduction in PEG concentration it might look more like the results I get with the replacement buffer.

The protocol I'm using is from Wang et al. 2011, A low-cost library construction protocol for Illumina-based strand-specific multiplex rna-seq. PLoS One 6(10) e26426. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0026426

It's been slightly modified from the original paper and I've made a few changes based on the enzymes we have available on hand. I can share if you like. Also, I beleive the author is a member here.

Comment

I should also mention that the replacement buffer (.6 parts PEG .4 parts H2O) is only used at one step in the protocol. The rest use equal volumes of PEG and NaCl where buffer replacement is a result of diluting the beads. Thanks again.

Comment

My money's on too much DNA. Try quantifying your ladder via fluorescence. Or just dilute the DNA 10x and repeat the experiment.

Comment

Saw9 how did the size selection go?

I'm using the same protocol and compared bead ratios of 1.2x and 0.7x and saw a decent difference, but I also realise that I will need to titrate further to totally remove any trace of smaller fragments.

Comment

What's your ladder?

I also had this problem, and as far as I could tell it turned out to be because there's something weird about certain brands of DNA ladder that makes them behave unusually with SPRI. http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31787

You could also just use someone else's data to calibrate your size selection. This isn't exactly unexplored territory.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses