No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transcriptome assembly for polyploid species

Dear seqanswers.com community,

I am working with a hexaploid organism. No genome is sequence is available yet. De novo assembly of 454 reads resulted in contigs that are often chimera of reads belonging to homeologous genomes. I was wondering if anyone has experience with transcriptome assembly using EST datasets as reference. I have plenty of ESTs available and coming these from clones are genome specific. However, reads will allign to multiple redundant ESTs.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks, Dario

Hi Dario

Sounds tricky.

A first step might be to cluster your EST collection with cd-hit to get rid of the redundant ESTs ?

For de novo assembly perhaps you can tighten up the alignment parameters to avoid chimeras? What percentage of contigs are chimeric ?

Comment

Thanks for the cd-hit suggestion. I never used it, I will give it a try. Roughly I would say that 10% of the sequences may be chimera of homeologous genes. There is no certain way to differentiate them from 'true' contigs. We are going to add depth with Illumina sequencing. Thanks. Dario

Comment

Hi Dario,

How is your project going on? I am also working on polyploid transcriptomes right now. I am trying with different parameters in newblerm. But it is difficult to construct and distinguish paralogs. Do you have any comments? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by baochengguo View Post
          Hi Dario,

How is your project going on? I am also working on polyploid transcriptomes right now. I am trying with different parameters in newblerm. But it is difficult to construct and distinguish paralogs. Do you have any comments? Thanks.
          Hi baochengguo:

For that project, we simplified the polyploid reference (454) by grouping transcript variants/homeologs/chimera/close paralogs into groups (isogroups). We mapped the reads (illumina) on the contigs and taken the sum as the expression level for the group. If you are interested you can find more details in our paper: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/12/492

This was not the most elegant solution, but good enough for this first part of the study. We are now trying to do assisted assembly of illumina reads using very stringent mapping on wheat ESTs. This will allow assembly of genome specific contigs, but we are still sequencing...

Comment

Originally posted by DarioC View Post
            Hi baochengguo:

For that project, we simplified the polyploid reference (454) by grouping transcript variants/homeologs/chimera/close paralogs into groups (isogroups). We mapped the reads (illumina) on the contigs and taken the sum as the expression level for the group. If you are interested you can find more details in our paper: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/12/492

This was not the most elegant solution, but good enough for this first part of the study. We are now trying to do assisted assembly of illumina reads using very stringent mapping on wheat ESTs. This will allow assembly of genome specific contigs, but we are still sequencing...
            Hi Dario,

Thanks so much for the reply. I have downloaded your paper and will read it. If any question, I will bother you again.

Comment

This paper might also be of interest: Meta-IDBA: a de Novo assembler for metagenomic data. "We introduce the Meta-IDBA algorithm for assembling reads in metagenomic data, which contain multiple genomes from different species."
              --
              Senthil Palanisami

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses