Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BWA errors after quality trimming

After I use the "-q 20" option in bwa aln I start getting errors down the road eg when i run ValidateSamFile in picard I get lots of "Mate negative strand flag does not match read negative strand flag of mate" and then "Sequence and quality are inconsistent" errors as well. I have run all the same commands without the -q option without these problems. I am very new to all this and not sure where I'm going wrong!

A little late, but I am also running -q option and curious if you identified the problem.

Comment

No I ended up just running it without trimming as I decided it wasn't really necessary

Comment

This is a bug in BWA. If you use -q it puts the trimmed nucleotide read in the output SAM file but the quality sequence is not trimmed at all and thus there is a difference in the length of the read and the length of the quality string. Either use some third party tool like trimgalore to trim your fastq reads before aligning and don't use BWA -q option at all OR use some script that takes SAM file and trims off the base quality string accordingly.

PS:This post may help- http://www.biostars.org/post/show/13...or-space-data/

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses