No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repeatmasker run with crossmatch

Hello All,

I am running repeatmasker on a 2.1G genome that is assembled into 10 psuedomolecules. I am using the following parameter

Code:
    -engine crossmatch -pa 32 -nolow -norna -cutoff 250 -gff
    I am running the job on the lsf cluster, but even after allocating sufficient memory and 32 processors per chromosome, its been running for 72 hours. I am using a database containing 3305 repeat sequences. Is there a method to increase the speed of the run?

Please let me know.
    Thank you

Depending on exactly what you are trying to do, you could certainly achieve the masking a lot faster (in a few minutes) using BBDuk instead via kmer-based masking. For example:

Code:
    bbduk.sh in=genome.fa out=masked.fa k=31 ref=repeats.fa kmask=N
    That will mask everywhere that shares 31-mers with the reference. It also supports mismatches and sliding-window entropy masking. bbmask.sh is slightly more complete and can mask short repeats or mask a genome from an aligned sam file, and is also very fast.

Comment

Hi Brian,

I would like to use the masked genome for repeat annotation. Does use of a kmer based masking tool lead to over masking? I would rather use a signature based masking tool like LTR_Struc, LTR_harvest in combination with Repeatmasker. What do you think?

Thanks

Comment

That's an excellent question. I really don't know if it would be more or less sensitive, or better or worse, as I have l no direct experience with annotation. It might mask little regions in the middles of genes, for example (though you can circumvent that by using a very large K). Possibly a better solution would be to use a long read aligner and mask the regions the repeats align to. The big problem here is that I still don't understand the rationale for masking prior to annotation, but it seems to be due to some weakness in annotation algorithms - in other words, it's algorithm-specific rather than procedure-specific. If that's correct, that makes it impossible to determine the best method of masking (or whether masking is even beneficial) without a very deep understanding of the specific annotation algorithm.

If you have some way of empirically determining the quality of annotation, though, it's certainly cheap to try alternative masking methods for comparison.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
        0 responses