Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I realise that, currently running some single end alignments, which take longer...

But anyway, the software does not produce weird faults as above, all my reads get processed and by "fast"; I still mean several hours.

Comment

It seems to me building the bwa indexes is error prone.
      I am just trying it again today and despite running what is supposed to be an
      identical script, I get different output (eg the first value in h_sapiens_37.5.amb is half
      the size of the value in the version bwt produced two weeks ago).

Is anyone prepared to host a working version of the BWA index for the human genome?
      It would be about 4.5GB. I think it would take less than 2weeks to down load and I might
      have more confidence in it than either of the two version I have created using
      bwa index /tmp/INPUTS.fa -p h_sapiens_37.5 -a bwtsw

Many thanks
      Bill

Comment

Originally posted by wlangdon View Post
        Is anyone prepared to host a working version of the BWA index for the human genome?
        It would be about 4.5GB. I think it would take less than 2weeks to down load and I might
        have more confidence in it than either of the two version I have created using
        bwa index /tmp/INPUTS.fa -p h_sapiens_37.5 -a bwtsw

Many thanks
        Bill
        Bill,

Illumina built indexes are available at the iGenomes site.

Last edited by GenoMax; 11-14-2012, 08:41 AM.

Comment

I have only recently discovered this problem.
          Compiling using make runs ok, no errors.
          Indexing (human_g1k_v37 from the GATK website) on mac takes around an hour, as standard (I think).
          bwa aln runs with no errors, but as the OP mentions each step takes almost no time.
          bwa sampe also runs with no errors but fails to infer insert size at every step. The resulting sam file has no alignment coordinates in it, and flagstat shows 0% mapped reads.
          After transferring data to linux cluster, and rebuilding the index, everything seems ok and flagstat shows 89% of the reads have been mapped.

I wonder is there some kind of library that a Standard Mac OSX lion is missing. Although is that was the case surely bwa would throw an error when it fails to import that library or package. I'm totally ignorant of C though so I'm guessing here.

Comment

I realise I never got back on this thread: I have also not had any decent alignments using BWA 0.6.x. I since downgraded to 0.5.x and everything is running well.

Comment

Originally posted by TabeaK View Post
              I realise I never got back on this thread: I have also not had any decent alignments using BWA 0.6.x. I since downgraded to 0.5.x and everything is running well.
              Yeah I might try using a 0.5.x version and compare the alignments to see if the upgrade is worth it.

Comment

I do not know the command to run fasta file in bwa
                Anyone can help me?
                Thanks very much

Comment

Originally posted by maivantan View Post
                  I do not know the command to run fasta file in bwa
                  Anyone can help me?
                  Thanks very much
                  Maivantan: You have probably looked at the bwa manual already. http://bio-bwa.sourceforge.net/bwa.shtml Main commands are in the synopsis.

bwa will accept fasta files in place of fastq (*.fq) files on those commands.

Comment

Thank you GenoMax,
                    but when i type bra index ref.fa
                    error is command not found.
                    Do you have any suggestion?

Comment

How familiar are you with unix? Did you download/compile bwa from sourceforge?

Comment

Dear GenoMax,
                        I am using matchbook pro v10.7.5, ram 4gb, core i7.
                        i did down load from the web site and make it in terminal.
                        Do you have any suggestion?

Comment

Are you able to see the executable file (should be called bwa)? You can verify that it is executable by trying to run it like this (assuming that you are in the bwa directory):

Code:
                          $ ./bwa
                          If that does not work then you may need to make the file executable

Code:
                          $ chmod u+x bwa
                          $ ./bwa
                          The second command should produce bwa "help" output. Then you should be ready to run.

Comment

Dear GenoMax,
                            I am sorry to disturb you, but I got the problem here:
                            when try to index the reference as the following, its fail. Would you please help me
                            Thank you very much

USER-no-MacBook-Pro-4:bwa-0.7-1.5a user$ ./bwa index ref.fa
                            [bwa_index] fail to open file 'ref.fa' : No such file or directory
                            USER-no-MacBook-Pro-4:bwa-0.7-1.5a user$ ./bwa mem ref.fa reads.fq > aln-se.sam
                            [E::bwa_idx_load] fail to locate the index files
                            USER-no-MacBook-Pro-4:bwa-0.7-1.5a user$

Comment

Originally posted by maivantan View Post
                              USER-no-MacBook-Pro-4:bwa-0.7-1.5a user$ ./bwa index ref.fa
                              [bwa_index] fail to open file 'ref.fa' : No such file or directory
                              It would be useful to invest a day in learning UNIX essentials. A very useful resource for biologists to learn UNIX (I assume you are one) can be found at this link: http://korflab.ucdavis.edu/Unix_and_...1.1.html#part1

As for your specific problem. Your ref.fa (fasta reference file) does not appear to be in the same directory as the bwa program. I have highlighted the error in red above.

Best option is to change to the directory where the ref.fa file is present. Then run the bwa command providing full path to the bwa executable.
                              Code:
                              $ cd to_directory_with_ref.fa
                              $ /provide_full_path_to_directory/bwa index ref.fa

Comment

Thank yu GenoMax very much.
                                I am going to learn it

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                                0 responses