No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reputation for members?

Hi Members,

I've been (constantly) using seqanswers and many other forums from last many months.
    I've found one thing missing from this forum is some batch/badge, or reputation kind of thing.
    Something like: Sequencing guru, poster of the month, bashhelper, and many others.

I'm not sure if this is something that can be put up. Also, not sure if the developers and supporters would have financial/work force support for what I mentioned above.

I thought mentioning this point could give a new look to members and forum as well.

Sorry if this is not worth discussing or too naive.

Many thanks.
    Bioinformaticscally calm

For any of your research presentations, especially in written form, such as papers, dissertations, and grant applications there are various style guides to enable formal citation of a blog post. See for example the MLA format for electronic sources cited under the section "blog post"

If you want to use a print citation for the SEQanswers website in general, you can use

SEQanswers: An open access community for collaboratively decoding genomes

Bioinformatics (2012) doi: 10.1093/bioinformatics/bts128

(formatted in the style of your bibliography)

Comment

vBulletin has a user "reputation" system. SeqAnswers.com runs on vBulletin.

I suppose it is up to the forum owner (ECO) to consider if it can be activated on SeqAnswers.

Comment

If there was going to be some sort of reputation metric, then I propose measuring everyone in units of "milli-Bushnells".
        Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

I think google page rank is a pretty good arbiter of a decent post or thread.

I dont think Seqanswers should be like slashdot/facebook/hackernews/stackexchange.

There's plenty of other places to do that karma thing.

Comment

@Joann - I meant to ask in-forum points.

Thank you all for your valuable points.

I believe that (introducing points) might crowd in more members.
            Also, some sort of tagging would be of great help. So member can know reply is directed to him/her. I know user/member gets mail(s).

Just my 2 cents.

I'm a newbie and each of the above reply is new information to me.
            Bioinformaticscally calm

Comment

Long ago and far away there was at least one other discussion thread along these lines, and I believe even ECO spoke. My suggestions above are for alternatives that could be pursued currently by those who claim benefit from the abundant expertise available here (to the extent that a citation format is appropriate.)

Comment

Originally posted by SNPsaurus View Post
                If there was going to be some sort of reputation metric, then I propose measuring everyone in units of "milli-Bushnells".
                Yeah. I think I may be a 1 milli-Bushnell. 2 on a good day.

Comment

I could totally turn on the reputation and thread rating systems...I had avoided that because I wanted to avoid the clutter...and mostly think that interweb-points are overrated and often encourage the wrong things...

But if people want to experiment with it, I would be happy to turn it on...

Comment

I think encouraging members to acknowledge SEQanswers and most useful contributing members to a particular thread in acknowledgment section of a publication that has benefitted from forum would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by nucacidhunter View Post
                      I think encouraging members to acknowledge SEQanswers and most useful contributing members to a particular thread in acknowledgment section of a publication that has benefited from forum would be good.
                      I agree; that sounds better to me than a rating system. As ECO said, rating systems that I have seen do not always work as intended and often have negative consequences for the community; I would hate to see that happen here.

However, a private rating system - such that anyone can give ratings, but only the user can view their own ratings - might be sort of interesting.
                      Last edited by Brian Bushnell; 04-10-2015, 09:34 PM.

Comment

I second to "private rating system"
                        Bioinformaticscally calm

Comment

Agree with Richard Finney. It's not like I can put the ratings in my CV. I'm guessing most members are more interested in getting their problems solved.

I second the post tagging. I suggest tagging threads based on more diverse topics, field and software etc. It'll be great if members are alerted when there are new questions related to their fields, just like ResearchGate. It will help members to help each other. It's sad to see a lot of new threads created every day but many left unanswered or unsolved.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                          • seqadmin
                            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                          0 responses