Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Chimeric sequences from Metagenomics samples

I'm making 2 Metagenomics pipelines (one for WGS and one for 16S) and I just found out about Chimeras and I think I understand what they are.

Chimeric sequences are products when 2 halves of a PCR product "link" together to form one sequence. This is a problem because the sequence can then be assigned as a different (wrong) sequence.

But I don't (at all) see this as a problem for 16S, because this sequence is so short you'll allow a very small mismatch ratio (0-1) so you won't see anything.
    The people I work with have never looked for Chimeric sequences and say that it isn't really a problem here even for WGS. Are they wrong? Why do I want to really search for chimeric sequences? What kind of tool do you advise to use? And am I wrong about the 16S approach?

Thanks for reading and if you reply, thank you even more.

The chimera frequency in WGS will be very low and shouldn't be a problem. The frequency in 16S experiments is much higher because there are short conserved sequences that can internally prime during the PCR.

They are a problem in 16S because they chimeras can get treated as novel OTUs and inflate diversity estimates. I'm not sure what your point about mismatch ratio is.

Comment

Hi cliffbeal,

Thank you for replying.
      I see that I haven't been complete. I'm talking about the V4 region in the 16S.
      With mismatch ratio (maybe I'm using the wrong term here) I mean that when you align your sequence you allow a certain amount of mismatches to the sequence, because of possible errors in your PCR.
      But the problem with this is that if you have just a small amount of "mismatches" or mutations in your sequence it could be considered as the wrong organism.
      So in that order you would allow a small amount of errors with the alignment and chimeras shouldn't be a problem then.

Regards,

Rick

Comment

You often see chimeras between parent sequences with <90% identity. That can generate things that are not 97% identical to either parent if you're using that threshold so they get classified as a novel OTU.

This reference is pretty good on the formation of chimeras, though I think most people use uchime rather than chimera slayer these days.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses