SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RNA-seq in the NovaSeq scrosby RNA Sequencing 2 03-09-2018 09:19 AM
NovaSeq Experience nangel Illumina/Solexa 26 11-02-2017 10:15 PM
NovaSeq from Illumina GenoMax Illumina/Solexa 113 08-03-2017 04:51 AM
Puzzing MiSeq run (failure) Vesperholly2 Illumina/Solexa 1 11-15-2014 01:44 PM
MiSeq run failure - inhibition? firefly2280 Illumina/Solexa 24 11-14-2014 08:13 PM

Old 11-01-2018, 03:18 AM   #1
Tcom111

Default Novaseq vs Miseq failure

Hi all,

This is the first time I'm trying to run a MIP (molecular inversion probe) library of ~800 genomic targets, dual index library in Novaseq.
The primers we use are custom primers for all reads (R1, R2, Ind). The Miseq run of the same pool looked like this (Miseq1, Miseq2 figures), while there was a fall in the first 50 bases of both R1 and R2 in the Novaseq run (Novaseq1, Novaseq2). Has anyone had any encounter with such phenomena and can suggest how to solve it? I heard an explanation of low hybridization efficiency of the custom primers in the Novaseq, but how can this explain the rest of the sequencing process?

Also, I'll be glad to hear from satisfied/non-satisfied Novaseq users general experience compared to other machines (namely Hiseq).

Many thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: gif Miseq1.gif (66.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: gif Miseq2.gif (30.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: gif Novaseq1.gif (94.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: gif Novaseq2.gif (79.2 KB, 17 views)
Tcom111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:07 AM   #2
pmiguel

The new version of SAV has a metric "% occupancy" for each tile. You should check that.
It looks like you either had very low occupancy (very under-clustered) or very massive over-clustering. (Actually I think the NovaSeq is pretty resistant to over-clustering.)

I personally would be terrified to use custom primers on an S4 flowcell. Actually we never used them even once on our previous instrument (HiSeq 2500).

--
Phillip
pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:27 AM   #3
GenoMax

MiSeq is the champ of sequencing difficult libraries. I would not compare success on a MiSeq to a different sequencer for odd libraries. If you are running an un-supported application then you are on your own when you push the bounds of technology.

When you stay within bounds of supported applications NovaSeq performs very well.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:13 PM   #4
mama

Which version of SAV enables to see the % occupancy per tile. How can you check if the loading concentration looks good?
Many thanks!
mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:19 PM   #5
Tcom111

Thanks for your replies!
Quote:
I personally would be terrified to use custom primers on an S4 flowcell. Actually we never used them even once on our previous instrument (HiSeq 2500).
and
Quote:
When you stay within bounds of supported applications NovaSeq performs very well.
Novaseq and other machines have a specific protocol for custom primers, although I understand the fear.. I believe that it may have to do with the machine different temperature differences.

I was told that the intensities are low, which may resulted in faulty results.
Any thoughts about that?
Tcom111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:22 AM   #6
pmiguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama View Post
Which version of SAV enables to see the % occupancy per tile. How can you check if the loading concentration looks good?
Many thanks!
SAV 2.4.5 includes an "occupied count" and "% occupied" metric in the drop down list of the Flow Cell Chart pane of the Analysis tab.

--
Phillip
pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:39 AM   #7
GW_OK

One thing worth keeping in mind as well is the difference in clustering chemistries between the two instruments. With the Nova using ExAmp and the Miseq using the "classic" bridge amplification the same library may (and probably will) cluster differently between them. We were actually warned by our FAS during our Nova install to not QC pools on a Miseq Nano prior to a large Nova flowcell and instead run on an iSeq since it also uses ExAmp.

I'm wondering if your poor Nova run was due to presence of adapter/primer dimer, which can easily take over with ExAmp. Do you have an electropherogram of the library and/or FastQC results showing adapter dimer or insert size metrics?
GW_OK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miseq, novaseq