No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truseq Exome Library Prep: amplification does not work

Hi,

I have 6 samples with which I am trying to make a library with Illumina TruSeq Exome Library Prep Kit (starting material was 100-300 ng).

The problem is that before the exome capture, the first enrichment of my fragments does not work (fragment concentrations are in a 0.5 - 3 ng/ul range measured with PicoGreen).
    Knowing that I need to pull 200 ng of fragments per sample before exome capture, I cannot even go farther.

I used these same samples to do qPCRs (KAPA) and whole genome amplifications (QIAGEN Repli-g) and it worked great.

Illumina tech support has not been very helpful so far, so I would have few questions:
    1) Do you think I could use the QIAGEN Whole Genome Amplification kit I used before instead of Illumina reagents?
    2) Any impact on the adaptor sequences? (I don't know what amplification method is used in the Illumina kit)
    3) Does this happened to someone before? Can the kit reagents be faulty?

Thanks !

This indicates sub-optimal library prep. You can use WGA on prepared libraries to increase yield but your amplified library will not have correct structure and mostly will consist of mass of DNA without flanking Illumina Adapters which are not useful for hybridisation and capture.
    Illumina uses reverse and forward primers for PCR enrichment.
    Kit reagents can be faulty, but one cannot rule out input DNA and library prep reaction set up either without further work.

Comment

Originally posted by user 31888 View Post
      Hi,

I have 6 samples with which I am trying to make a library with Illumina TruSeq Exome Library Prep Kit (starting material was 100-300 ng).

The problem is that before the exome capture, the first enrichment of my fragments does not work (fragment concentrations are in a 0.5 - 3 ng/ul range measured with PicoGreen).
      Knowing that I need to pull 200 ng of fragments per sample before exome capture, I cannot even go farther.

I used these same samples to do qPCRs (KAPA) and whole genome amplifications (QIAGEN Repli-g) and it worked great.

Illumina tech support has not been very helpful so far, so I would have few questions:
      1) Do you think I could use the QIAGEN Whole Genome Amplification kit I used before instead of Illumina reagents?
      2) Any impact on the adaptor sequences? (I don't know what amplification method is used in the Illumina kit)
      3) Does this happened to someone before? Can the kit reagents be faulty?

Thanks !
      What is your total elution volume? What kind of total ng output are you getting from the first round of PCR? How many cycles of PCR are you using? Are you doing size selection? What is your shear size?

It might be more prudent to use the Kapa Hyper Prep kit for the library prep process (with the TruSeq Exome adapters, of course), followed by Kapa HiFi for the PCR step. You'll get much higher yields.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses