SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alignment to selected region of the reference genome houkto General 1 02-20-2012 05:51 AM
alignment and reference genome assembling slny Bioinformatics 3 03-16-2011 06:49 AM
Reference-guided alignment crisant Bioinformatics 0 11-27-2010 01:55 PM
Alignment tool for use with ambiguous reference? lindseyjane Bioinformatics 13 11-18-2010 10:44 AM
alignment reference qiudao Bioinformatics 0 10-14-2008 04:32 PM

Old 01-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
Tomi

Question BWA Combined Reference vs sequential alignment

Hi,

I am currently developing a pipeline for novel viral detection and I am using BWA for filtering the mapped sequnces.

I recognized during my tests that I have a different number of unmapped reads after I align my sample against the whole genome once, in contrast to if I align each chromosome seperately and pipe the output.

Is this causing BWA heuristically concept, that I get a different number of mapped sequences by using the same references? Is this normal?

What is better, to align chromosome by chromosome or to align the whole genome at once?

Would be pelased if anyone could help.
Tomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
swbarnes2

If you align against each chromosome individually, you will have some reads that ought to align to a different chromosome being forced to align to the chromosome you gave it. So the same read will align to multiple chromosomes, and would be counted multiple times. Does that explain what you are seeing?

It's definately better to give the aligner the whole reference sequence, so the aligner can find the best match, the real match for each read, rather than the best match of the sequences you gave it. Sure, it takes more memory, and more time, but that's what it takes.
swbarnes2 is offline   Reply With Quote