SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Literature Watch

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
paired-end read length for de novo assembly Seqasaurus Illumina/Solexa 4 10-19-2011 03:32 AM
PubMed: Local De Novo Assembly of RAD Paired-End Contigs Using Short Sequencing Reads Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 05-05-2011 11:40 PM
de novo assembly and Illumina read length bkingham De novo discovery 1 11-16-2009 11:15 PM
De novo short read assembly? Which assembler is the best? Patrick De novo discovery 0 06-23-2009 06:42 PM
PubMed: Velvet: Algorithms for De Novo Short Read Assembly Using De Bruijn Graphs. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 03-20-2008 05:24 AM

Old 02-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
strob

Default De novo fragment assembly with short mate-paired reads, Does the read length matter?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19056694

Genome Res. 2009 Jan 13. [Epub ahead of print]

De novo fragment assembly with short mate-paired reads: Does the read length matter?

Chaisson MJ, Brinza D, Pevzner PA.

Increasing read length is currently viewed as the crucial condition for fragment assembly with next-generation sequencing technologies. However, introducing mate-paired reads (separated by a gap of length, GapLength) opens a possibility to transform short mate-pairs into long mate-reads of length approximately GapLength, and thus raises the question as to whether the read length (as opposed to GapLength) even matters. We describe a new tool, EULER-USR, for assembling mate-paired short reads and use it to analyze the question of whether the read length matters. We further complement the ongoing experimental efforts to maximize read length by a new computational approach for increasing the effective read length. While the common practice is to trim the error-prone tails of the reads, we present an approach that substitutes trimming with error correction using repeat graphs. An important and counterintuitive implication of this result is that one may extend sequencing reactions that degrade with length "past their prime" to where the error rate grows above what is normally acceptable for fragment assembly.
strob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
lcollado

Hello,

I just read this paper and I'm a bit puzzled on where to get the EULER-USR version. The paper sends you here. On the posts there you can find links to the EULER-SR tarball, which I guess is the previous version. I've tried registering, but didn't get any confirmation email.

My guess is that the site is no longer being updated. Actually, the last post there was on 03/30/2009

Any tips on how/where to get EULER-USR would be greatly appreciated

Greetings,
Leonardo
Old 10-23-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
seb567

I believe EULER-SR version 1.1.2 is the last version.

http://euler-assembler.ucsd.edu/euler-sr.1.1.2.tgz
seb567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
lcollado

I think that EULER-SR and EULER-USR are different versions. Am I wrong?

Tags
euler-sr, illumina